Master Fix It
Master Fix It, Technician
Experience:  25 + Years experience repairing TVs, VCRs Computer etc.
11519491

I have a sanyo 42" plasma screen. Lg panel. Fault began with

Customer Question

Hello I have a sanyo 42" plasma screen. Lg panel. Fault began with faulty colour then became black with random pixels of colour now stays just black. Power supply measures fine. Could this be the control board or do you think ysus ?
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to be sure the faulty part is identified before committing to an order for a new board. The lg panel is a pdp42g001 control board is 42g1_ctrl revc. Eax41832901. Sanyo white sticker is ebr39594903 on the control board. Cheers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
From the sound of it, when it was still producing random pixels here and there, that was probably a memory error.
If the control board is covered with chips (integrated circuits), then that is likely to be the board that is at fault.
But: to be quite sure, you ought to consult a service manual for this model. A service manual contains troubleshooting tables and parts lists and accurate part numbers useful for ordering. That will help make sure that the diagnosis and the parts replacement order is indeed accurate.
Unfortunately, after a prolonged search, I can find no source for such a service manual.
Nor a repair manual, as they are sometimes titled.
The part # ***** brings up this board - with pictures - do they look like the board you have?:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebr39594904-main-logic-ctrl-board.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. The boards, nubers are verified and available. I agree with random pixels and memory fault but how do faulty colours relate ? I am concerned this may be a driver board issue ?I am an experienced electronics tech but this is first time into a plasma set. Feel free to talk circuits... I am just looking for certainty in diagnosis.Can the other boards be diagnosed with the set in its current state ?I have the service manual with schematic but with a black screen the diagnosis section isn't much help.Does a new control board require a calibration process ?Cheers ***** *****
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Faulty colors can be caused by memory errors also. A 'color' is represented in memory by numbers. Memory error would change number, thus changing colors.

Admittedly I am not certain.

I feel uncertain enough that, given that you want certainty, I feel I should Opt Out of this case, and open it thus to other Experts in this category. I'm sorry I had nothing more to offer (but, be it noted, that Main Logic Board was cheap enough at about $40 that it is much less risk than I expected to swap out. I was expecting the main board for your plasma TV to cost more like $130 or a figure in that range.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou. The memory error explanation is plausible so I've myth busted an order for a 2hd board for approx $35.AUD delivered. New board from Aussie suppliers comes in at $120 +delivery.....too much !I'll let you know how the repair proceeds. Cheers
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm tech Mike and I will help as well if you get stuck.

I see tech Long Term has oped out.

Let me know if I can help you further ;-)

I see tech Long Term has oped out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike. The replacement control board has eventually arrived and has not resolved the fault.
The initial responses were not particularly helpful and I appreciate Long Terms decision to opt out.I would like to now pursue this on my own at component level and would like a refund.Cheers.