Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My cable box remote is Turing my cable box on or off and my

Customer Question

My cable box remote is Turing my cable box on or off and my tv on or off but it won't access the cable menu or actually bring the cable into my tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- Does TV menu screen come up if press menu button on TV or its remote?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot get to rear of tv. Super heavy old tube Sony. The tv menu will blink on then disappear.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?

If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Both were off for 10 minutes. No change at all. Leaving for work now. Will have to talk later.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, can you connect another video device such as DVD player etc to TV as a test to see if it works or TV gives same problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have another device.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, any thing like camcorder, gaming console etc to test the TV?
OR have you tried to push TV/Video button on TV or its remote to change video input source to see if it works to get cable box picture on TV?
Please note that I don't have your TV model number info which is very important to get related manual for troubleshooting purpose so I have to ask generic question to under stand that issue, also it would be very helpful if you get DVD player from any friend/ neighbor for a while to test the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. It's a Sony Trinitron. I plugged in an old dvd player and it works! So confused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only has video 1 which is where the cable used to come on. Now the dvd player is on it. The only other input is channel 3 which is all snow.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, DVD test proved that TV itself is fine and problem is with cable box which isn't sending video output to TV, cable box and DVD player are video source to TV, if on works and other doesn't then TV itself is just fine and need to check/ replace other video source, (in this case , cable box) so please call your cable service provider and ask them to reset it and if it doesn't fix then replace cable box which will help to resolve the problem.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, so basically you didn't help at all, since before I asked you any questions I had made an appt with my cable company to come out tomorrow to replace the cable box.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I wish if I could replace your cable box from here through internet.

I helped you to sort out the bad thing. If you don't want to pay then do not rate the answer and just leave it as it is.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.