Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Vizio TV won't always turn on. Model: E470i-AO). Serial:

Customer Question

My Vizio TV won't always turn on. Model: E470i-AO). Serial: LAQKOCBP1402029. I can't turn it on with the remote or using the on/off button on the side of the TV. The problem is getting more and more frequent. The last time this happened was a week ago today. I have Direct TV satellite box plugged into the TV. The only way I've found to fix it is to unplug the TV at the back of the TV and plug it back in. Unplugging the TV at the AC outlet doesn't fix the problem. The last time I fixed the problem it only stayed fixed for one day and then I couldn't turn it on again. Since the TV is big and heavy, I have to have my son come over and help me. I really hate to ask him to come over every couple of days. What can I do to fix it?
Robert Fox
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Robert.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising - we often see these vizios last just a few years before this type of failure pops up, with your issue of being slow/difficult to turn on almost always attributed to the use of inferior/low quality capacitors on the power supply board.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). A new power board for your model is under $50 for the part.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $200 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

If this is not feasible for you to repair yourself or have a tech out, you may want to consider replacement as well - a brand new tv with a fresh warranty of this size can be purchased for under $500.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,