Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

All the detail is in the question...

Customer Question

all the detail is in the question...
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please elaborate your question and what are current symptoms of TV?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, do you not see the symptoms I described in the original question?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
All I see is "all the detail is in the question..." and bit details about what you have tried out so far like unplug connector between power and main board.
- I need to know what are the current symptoms (plug all the connectors in TV)?
- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?
- Any part/board replaced so far in TV?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed all the details into the original page. I will repeat - I have a Samsung UN55B8500XF, manufactured Dec 2009. I have had a few problems recently. First, the TV would occasionally change sources from HDMI1 to something else. Annoying, but easy fix as I would simply change the source back. Then, the volume icon would show the volume going either up or down. I am not accidentally pressing the remote when this happens. But the big problem is the TV would periodically turn off and start clicking. After checking online, I would unplug and plug all the cables back in and it would work for a few days to a week but then do the same thing again. Eventually it stopped working and now when I plug it in and turn on it just clicks but does not turn on, no sound or lights, nothing. I have taken the steps you see in the question. What I would like to know is, is it worth fixing? How would I fix? What is the likelihood that the suggested fix works? I do not want to spend money replacing every part and end up spending more than I would on a new TV!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for details, TV symptoms that you had points touch function board or main processor board failure.

Please check following link to view touch function board (where control buttons are located on TV) and main board..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn96-10736k-p-touch-function-ir-board.htm

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-02768b-main-board-for-un55b8500xfxza.htm

Please remove the back cover of TV, find touch function board in TV and unplug/ disconnect it, replug TV power cord to see if TV still clicking?

if so then main board of TV would be defective and should be replaced, if TV doesn't click or turn On normally then you got the bad board which is touch function board. Since TV is bit old model so it would be tough to get replacement board so please get the part number off of the board in TV and search/ google it to get price info to order it which also help you to make decision about this TV repair or invest that amount on new replacement TV.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me exactly where the touch function board is? Also, the site you provided the link for days the parts are out of stock and the chance of getting them in stock soon is "bad", do you have any alternatives?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

The link was to show you the image of boards which will help to locate it in TV, touch buttons would be located on either lower or side panel of front of TV and the board is exactly behind those buttons, need to remove back cover of TV to access to touch function board.

Once you find it out in TV then get the part number off of touch function board and search/google it to get price and stock info to place the order to supplier.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance for the question?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything that looks like the touch function board in the link, where exactly is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to upload a picture of the TV...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I found it at the bottom under a plastic cover. It looks like the top picture in the link, is the bottom picture a different side of it or different thing altogether?
I unplugged the three cables connecting it, then the TV would not do anything at all, no clicking but does not turn on either. But then when I plugged them back in, the TV turned on again. What does this mean? When I unplugged other cables and plugged back in before, that also got it working again, but only for a few days.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for delayed reply, just logged on website, let me check picture and get back to you in 15 minutes.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check following link to view the image of TV where I marked the area to find touch function board, unplug the cable form touch function board and check if TV turns On and stay stable?
http://i.imgur.com/9zZV22B.jpg
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, did you get my latest response? I had some additional info.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just saw it with current message, so TV is working again? Nice!

If so then it seems some pins of connectors are clogged/ rusty and causing bad contact which affects the TV performance. Please try to unplug and replug a few times all connectors as it will help to refresh the contacts between connector pins or use WD40 contact cleaner spray while TV power cord is unplugged, check following link for details, hopefully it will help to resolve the problem.

http://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Specialist-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00CMT9TFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438545099&sr=8-1&keywords=wd40+contact+cleaner

Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it your opinion that none of the boards are actually bad, just the connections? As I mentioned, I unplugged many of the other cables before and plugged back in and it seemed to resolve the problem, but only for a short while.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, since TV is working with these boards so it would be connection issue between board that stop them after some time. Contact cleaner spray will also help to clean the contacts for better connection but please use it carefully and avoid any liquid left on circuit board or on components before plugging TV back in power outlet.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would unplugging and plugging back in different cables resolve the problem at different times? Does that mean that many of the connections are bad? I don't see anything wrong with the cables or connections...
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I can give you ideas based on info given in this conversation and can't see the things in TV so need to try the suggestion to see if it helps? TV symptoms posted earlier point towards two suspected boards and TV turned On while troubleshooting it that made me think it could be bad contact as well, if we use contact cleaning spray and give TV some time to see how it goes that would be helpful.

I would also suggest to clean the touch buttons area on TV front with moist cloth to remove any dirt etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the input do far. Are you saying, that if a board is "bad", then unplugging and re plugging the connectors could not temporarily "fix" the board, only to have it fail again later? Thanks!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No, if refreshing/cleaning the contacts doesn't help then board replacement will be next option as some times processor chip do fail/stop working when chip internal temp increased or any lose soldering joint under the chip caused some problem as there are lots of possibilities.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, I got your request to rate your service. Given that the TV has worked properly for some time in the past after unplugging and replugging other cables, I don't think we can say yet that the problem has been resolved. I think we need to wait a week or two for that, and if it's still working, we can call this problem resolved, otherwise we'll have to talk about other possibilities.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sure, take your time and reply back with the result or rate the answer when satisfied.

Thanks and good luck!

Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just turned the TV on and it quickly turned off and started clicking again. Where does that leave us, do I need to replace the main board? Are the any other possibilities? I saw another JustAnswer thread about a similar problem and the guy was advised to replace the main board, which he did, but that didn't solve the problem. I want to be pretty sure before I start pouring money into this TV because it is five and a half years old and not sure how long it is expected to last.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, I would replace touch control board as first thing which isn't expensive and worth to try.

Use the part number off of touch control board in TV to search/google it to get price and stock info to order it, this will help to resolve the issue or we would be sure that main board is bad and at that point you can make decision to spend money on this TV repair or invest it on new replacement TV.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, I finally got around to trying to replace the touch control board, I found one on eBay and told the seller my issue. He suggested putting the TV in factory service mode and then resetting. This isn't anything I've seen while researching this problem, does it make any sense to you to pursue this path? Thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Resetting TV to factory setting in service mode can cause more complication because we don't have backup data to get TV back in current status and this will stuck us with new status of TV, we can try it if we have detailed data of service mode otherwise I would stay away form doing that, after doing so in service mode that would be lots of fine adjustments required and we don't have proper tools to do that.

Did you get the touch control board and what was the price?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get the board yet, I found a used one on eBay for $30 or a new one for $38. Does that sound reasonable?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, sounds reasonable and worth to give it try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, I found a place online that has the touch board part, but they list it as a different part number. The number on the original is BN41-01302A, but the part they have is BN96-10736K. They tell me that the manufacturer sometimes changes the part number, but that this should be compatible with my TV. Does that make sense to you? The link to the part is below. Thank you for your help!https://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/UN55B8500XF/Samsung/Samsung/BN9610736K/New.aspx
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Its correct and happens, manufacturer made the same but improved part with different part number so please go ahead and order that one and reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid,
I received and replaced the touch control board, it did nothing to resolve the problem. Is it still your opinion that the next step would be to replace the main board? As I said originally, I don't want to end up replacing all the boards and paying more than the TV is worth, so I want to be pretty sure that the main board is the problem. Is that your opinion? Is there anything I can do to verify that before I order a new main board?
Thanks,
Tim
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear that function board swapping didn't fix the problem, yes, next suspected board is main board that can cause the symptoms mentioned in question, please go ahead and replace it to resolve the problem.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid,
I received the main board replacement today, it is a brand new board. I plugged it in and it did not resolve the problem in any way. I am quite disappointed; this is exactly what I didn't want to do, i.e. keep replacing parts without being reasonably sure they would resolve the problem, ending up spending more on the parts than the TV is worth, not to mention the time. What do you recommend as a next step?
Thanks,
Tim
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tim,

I'm out of ideas what could else it be causing the issue so let me opt out to open the question to all others on website to have a look and hopefully some one would soon be with you to assist you further, you wont need to do any thing but just wait for another expert response.

Please do not rate my answer(s) and leave it as it is.

Thanks and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shahid, why are you asking me to not rate your answer? Do you not feel that it is indicative of your ability to resolve questions of the sort that I had? I would say that your answer was less than expected, you basically gave me the same advice that I found on the internet, and which did not resolve the problem, and then gave up when it did not work. Thanks, Tim