Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Overseas with Westinghouse 50" flat screen that will only pick

Customer Question

Overseas with Westinghouse 50" flat screen that will only pick up one channel
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....I either fell for a scam or the experts are working...how do I find out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Guess I learned a $36 lesson. Technology is unbelievable...I actually thought someone was on the other end.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Sorry for delayed reply.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of your TV?
- Is the TV hooked to antenna to get local channels?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is hooked to the cable that the armed forces network provides the housing. We do not have any cable service other than that. Our 30" Insignia TV picks up at least 20 channels but the Westinghouse does not. Let me get the model number off the back...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DWM507F3G1.........so you really are a person??
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm real person/human and please recheck TV model number as DWM507F3G looks invalid for Westinghouse TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typo: no " 7 " DWM50F3G Just proving I am human
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To share what I have done: Once the movers put the TV up we hooked it to the cable plug with a coaxial to its RF in plug. It gave us the option to channel search but even though over 100 showed on the RF, only one channel showed on analog and that is all we got. Nothing showed on digital.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
hah, thanks for TV model number info.
Have you tried to select Cable in Signal Type option in Channel menu of TV then run Auto Scan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to "channel" on the menu the only options are cable and air. I ran the auto scan on both of them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only difference is after it runs through the 60 sum channels in "air" it then gives the message to "please run channel auto scan" but I can't! When I run cable i get over 100 RF CH but only one analog and that is all that plays.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, lets try to reset TV.
Press Menu and go to Setup then select Restore Default and press OK, put 0000 default password ***** ask to restore TV to default settings and again run channel scan option in channel menu while selecting Cable option.
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to set up. Default. entered 0000 and pressed ok. The "please run channel auto scan" message just came back on. I am going to try again
same thing happened
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, it seems TV built in tuner has got some internal issue or the coax cable isn't hooked securely on RF input pin.
Is it possible to swap the TV, I mean connect it to where Insignia is working OK or connect the Insignia to this cable connection to see if it still picks up same channels at this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you mean test the coax on the 30" . I will do that, it will take a few minutes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Correct, test the coax on 30" and test this TV on 30" coax point.
Take your time and reply back with the result.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coax worked fine on the 30".
I noticed the plug goes snugger on the 30" . The 50" RF plug on the TV seems longer, are there different coax lengths?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
No, RF pin length doesn't matter and can vary in size on different brand or model.
So coax cable is fine and problem is with built in tuner in TV which has become unable to receive channel signals for internal issue, either replace the TV main board where tuner is mounted OR connect a set-top box to TV (set-top box would have own tuner as works like cable box), connect coax cable in box and use set top box remote to run channel scan to get available channels over coax cable service to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand your answer. Please clarify what you mean by a "set top box". Where do I find one of these? Do I walk in and as for a set top box????If this does not resolve the issue how do I notify "get answer" for my refund???
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check following amazon link to view set top box info..
http://www.amazon.com/Viewtv-Converter-Recording-Function-Composite/dp/B00GGVPKKC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438242260&sr=8-7&keywords=set+top+box+for+cable
You can get refund by contacting customer service at***@******.***
Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.