Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I was watching TV and my screen just went black. If I turn

Customer Question

I was watching TV and my screen just went black. If I turn the power off then back on the power light comes on like normal then slowly dims down to less than half normal brightness. I have replaced the power supply already and the main board with the input
connections and still see the same issue.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I think that some voltage important to the device is being loaded down by a shorted (or, overdrawing) component.
If the TV is old, you may have to remove all boards and clean out the dust, esp. that which has gotten into the connectors that the boards plug into.
Also, a service manual - and the ability to make measurements with a voltmeter, safely, while working on a TV with its cover off - would be useful in this case. With a service manual, you would be able to save on considerable costs in swapping out boards at hazard of guessing wrong. Would you like me to research a source for such a service/repair manual, for your model of Vizio TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is only about 13mos old. The voltage has tested on both boards pretty much the same some at 5vdc and some just under. There are also a few spots at 11.97vdc
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
13 months is a most unfortunate age. The warranty is expired, no doubt, and the actions I suggested that are appropriate for an old TV are not appropriate for yours, in consequence, I'm sorry to say.
In case someone else has more suggestions for this problem, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category - with apologies.
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome my name is Anthony
I am a different expert.
Firstly did you replace these boards for THIS fault you have now and its still the same after doing that?
Do you still have the ORIGINAL boards?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, these boards were replaced for this issue. I still have both old boards as well.
And you still have exactly the same fault .....the fault has not changed at all
Firstly the set is ONLY just out of warranty what you should do is contact vizio there is a grace period for the warranty and you should pursue that emphatically then you need is get those boards back in again the (original boards)get the set back to the way it was, its my belief that vizio will carry work out on the set under warranty, contact a vizio approved repair agent FIRST before going through the vizio site for help, the agent may be able to help better as its only 1 month out of warranty
Let me know how this works out
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried all that before trying this site. Service people wouldn't help via telephone at all and vizio was also pretty useless and stuck to the "sorry its out of warranty" line. I tried several times with them.
That is really unusual for a 13 month old set I have never come across that before, usually the service agents will be happy to accommodate because the warranties are serial number tied and so it would not be a problem to put the set through as a warranty repair 14 months would be about the max and 15 outside just
Still if you have explored all that I will need now the partnumbers for the boards you fitted and the original part numbers and also where you got the boards from for a 13 month old set?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently at work so I don't have the boards in front of me. I can tell you that both boards were matched up with the part numbers of the originals before I installed them. The power supply board came from shopjimmy.com and the main board came from ftv parts. After the TV didn't work with both new parts installed I tried a combo of old and new just to be sure. I can tell you I'm becoming a pro at installing these things...
I understand, if you are sure both part-numbers match exactly then your left with either the t-con board (drives the LCD display)or the panel (screen)as there is nothing else left, I have to add at this point in my experience people fit the wrong boards and yes the boards will look exactly the same but there may be subtle differences in the part-numbers (for this type of fault) OR you have been sent a bad board probably the main-board (judging by the sets behavior)
Let me know about those part-numbers first when you get home
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will re-verify everything and also request a replacement main board from the parts company.
Well let me know the part-numbers first Please consider rating the answer positively thank you, ***** ***** will remain open always RegardsAnthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I verified both original board numbers with new board numbers and parts are identical.
Before you order another board do you have access to the t-con board usually mounted upper middle of the set (or on some occasions lower middle)?if so please pull out the LVDS lead going into it from the mainboard and let me know the sets behaviour with that disconnected and you switch on Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where on the TV would I find that. The back only has 2 large boards and 2 speakers. Is this the other end the 2 thin ribbon cables are plugged into?
Look at the main-board the one with all the AV connectors on, there will be a ribbon lead that comes from that and goes to the t-con board sometimes they fit the tcon board rather unfortunately under the metal if thats the case dont bother unless its just a metal shield, its usually mounted upper middle or lower middle of the set
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has 2 ribbon cables, should I pull both or just 1? If so, which
Pull the two and let me know how the set behaves then .....it wont come on its just I want to understand what the set does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried removing both ribbon cables and turning on the TV. Same issue, blank screen and white power light comes on and quickly fades to dim. I shut the TV off and plugged in one cable and repeated the process, then switched cables and again repeated. All 3 instances with the same result. Blank screen and a quickly dimming power light.
Are you sure the LCD panel is not physically damaged?How did this issue originally begin?was this out of the blue?Has the set been subject to storm damage? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panel is fine. I was just watching TV and the screen went black. It was 80s and sunny at the time.
I think at this point you should swap both boards you purchased just to eliminate you may have been sent dud ones
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already requested a new power supply board thinking it was bad, which came yesterday. I will request a new main board today.
ok