Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a JVC HD-56fc97 that i am trying to connect the wall

Customer Question

I have a JVC HD-56fc97 that i am trying to connect the wall cable to. I have attempted to reprogram and still have a weak signal
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and sorry you're having problems. Who is your cable provider? Also, when you say you "attempted to reprogram"- did you actually go into the MENU, select Cable and then run a Channel Scan? If so, did it find "0" channels specifically?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
In other words, IF CONNECTING TO PAID CABLE, first- you have to go into "Tuner Mode", go to "Digital Mode"- and select ATSC. Then press "OK" to start the scan (details shown on page 37 of your JVC's Owner's Manual): http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/91/LCT2067-001C-A.pdf If however, you're connecting to an "HDTV Antenna"- then a Digital TV converter box is needed- since the TV does not have an Antenna Digital Tuner. In this case the Scan is run THROUGH THE DTV BOX. Now, if you RUN THE SCAN- and find NO CHANNELS- then it's likely your cable company (like mine has), has gone to ULTRA-HD- and one of their converter boxes is REQUIRED to get broadcasts on the TV. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So currently i live on a college campus with this TV so its university owned. and this tv has two inserts in the back. one for digital and the other that says uhf i have tried both and its still not working
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I have no way of knowing what you campus uses, any ideas???
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
HDTV antenna? DirecTv? DISH? Cable? Does everyone else use a Converted Box, or a new Flat screen? Details please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just cable and no, no one has a cable box its just a straight shot to the wall and the tv.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the schools own cable called hofstravision
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
But is everyone else using a Flat Screen?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Since your TV has an older style tuner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Your TV is about 10 years old, and likely can't pickup their signal. Provided you're selecting "Digital" and running the channel scan- as posted above. Not just connecting the wire to the TV's digital port.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Are you viewing those instructions on page 37 I posted?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if you're seeing all of the replies, but you need to connect the cable to the "Digital" In on the back of the TV, then follow those instructions on page 37 to determine if your TV is too old to be used or not. If you still find NO channels (please specify when you post back to me), then a workaround is needed. Let me know and I can help. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it says i have 135 channels and i pressed the check mark near all channels to have them scanned and still no viewing
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Once you find the channels- they are already scanned. No check marks. Read that page. When it is done scanning- it will say "Auto Programming Finished" and you need to wait a full 14 minutes for this. Then you press the MENU button to finish. These are all posted right on that page I keep mentioning that you need to look at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry its not working for me. digital cable means there would be a satellite somewhere but overtime it says now programming it remains at 0. i don't think this will work for my old tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Digital Cable is not the same thing as Satellite. Digital Cable is Digital Cable. If you're still not getting any channels, then the TV is too old and you simply need to purchase a QAM/ATSC Tuner to connect between the TV and the School's Cable line. The TUNER box takes over the programming and will then allow you to use your older JVC. The box you will need is at the link below: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdtv-cable-tuner.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrdetBRCJg92s44SB77IBEiQAEIWmVQZI8ZDbCr_uO0kLPCWMftZLRlfKD8p95b4Xw4sIfoYaAlwY8P8HAQ If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does my tv have QAM turner?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
It does not have a current one- which is why it is not working. That's why I suggested the Channel Master Box- which will work. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Upon further review, the TV only has an ATSC tuner (per CNET). Let me know if there's anything else you need. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work.