Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Panasonic LED display I use as a TV. There is no tuner

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic LED display I use as a TV. There is no tuner and I want to get rid of cable but need the tuner function I get using the cable box to watch TV, change channels etc.. I also need the dvr record function. What is available I can buy to replace the functions I am getting with the cable box? Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
There are a few options for this.The most popular option and best quality in terms of the end product, ease of use, reliability, etc is a tivo. These can also be very expensive however. It would be several hundred $ up front and still has a monthly service fee for the guide services and other data provided. Standalone dvr units for OTA (antenna) use are more difficult to come by, but not impossible. You can get a small external tuner box as a standalone device, such as this: http://amzn.to/1SIwDe1That will provide the tuner functions. You can then connect a usb hard drive or memory stick to it for storage to provide the DVR functions. Note that it's a single tuner though, so you can only record one show at a time. An alternative, though at greater cost, will be a dvr tuner/recorder, typically made by Panasonic or Toshiba, that has a built in hard drive and usually a dvd recorder as well. These are difficult to find in the US though, and are $300+ Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would this serve as a tuner and record shows on at least 2 channels at once. Is this what I am looking for to use with my display and Amazon TV unit that you previously suggested I buy? (I did)

Magnavox MDR557H HDD & DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner 1TB

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you are looking at this one: http://amzn.to/1U1qaO0It would work for your purposes, but is still a single tuner model only.It can only record 1 thing at a time, though you can record one show and playback and existing recording at the same time.There is really no currently available twin/dual tuner device for OTA use, at least not that works in the US and is free. They are common in EU, but those tuners won't work here. The tivo option would work well for you: http://amzn.to/1LMDXVzBut that is still $15/month for their guide and operating system services, still cheaper than cable though. Also gives you built in access to netlfix and amazon video.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can also buy a tivo mini (add on to the main unit) to give you access to all the same content/recordings off your roamio in other rooms.They connect either via moca (coax) or ethernet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So previously you suggested I use the Amazon box which I purchased. Should I return that and get the Tivo?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well I suggested the amazon box when it appeared that your intent was to primarily get amazon instant video and other apps.The tivo does have some built in apps, but is pretty much limited to amazon/netflix. The box has a lot of other content, streaming, games, etc.I also thought your intent was to get away from a monthly fee, so I didn't mention the tivo previously due to that cost. If you're ok with that, then yes it may make more sense to return the fire, but you may want to keep the fire still for other functions, or to get netflix etc on another tv.