Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Need to fix my tv

Customer Question

Need to fix my tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me where you got the replacement lamp from?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you also tell me exactly what lights you see on the front, what color they are, solid/flashing, and any pattern to them if blinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the red lamp light blinking fast
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battarys plus bulbs in pensacola Florida
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you see a part number on the package? What brand was it and what was the cost?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
you see only the lamp light blinking fast? or is power light blinking at all too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power light just lamp light RM501 it was 85$ and some change doesnt say what brand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anothe number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a problem more than just the lamp
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there most likely is.You'd get a different results (lights/patterns) if it was just the lamp.I asked about the lamp itself because the cheap/generic lamps often fail quickly or are even bad right out of the box. If it is a genuine philips/osram lamp it should be fine. At this price point it could be either genuine or generic.I would take the lamp back to the store and ask for an exchange.If still no change, that confirms an internal fault, with the specific light you're seeing pointing to dd/cpu circuit. This is something that would require repairs to correct.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2005 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though parts are nearly impossible to find at this point.For a tv of this age, replacement will be more practical. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 price range these days. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this as soon as i get home and i was jus thinking the same thing replacement is our best option
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Based on age alone I'd lean toward replacement. Hopefully you can at least get your money back for the lamp if unable to use it.Here is a replacement model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/1VxIZKh I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, LG, Vizio, Sony. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed.If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper their printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a chromecast, roku, appletv, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan