Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I recently purchased a home with a Sony Bravia XBR so I have no knowledge of how old it

Customer Question

Hi I recently purchased a home with a Sony Bravia XBR so I have no knowledge of how old it is nor any instruction manual. It is very large and mounted so I can't access any info on the back. The TV was working fine and then the power was off for 4 days. When I went to test it, the cable goes on and the audio can be heard but no video. This lasts for about 5 seconds and the TV turns itself off with the standby light flashing. Is the TV shot? I have the home rented on Saturday and need a TV. And fast! Please advise. Thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. You need to unplug the tv POWER cord for 3 full minutes. If that reset doesn't solve the issue then yes, the tv is "shot". The blinking light on the front means it will require diagnosis, parts, and service. If you have electronics experience like using a meter then take the back off the tv and REPLY back here and I will be happy to help. If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of thing then you would need to call a repair shop which will end up costing $350 or more. In case you think this answer was of no help to you, I assure you the advice I've given you is well worth it considering the time and money you would have spent using a local repair shop because they will collect a non-refundable diagnostic fee up front of $100-$135 and won't offer any of the DIY information that I have. Before you go any further, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating. Please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy. Doing that destroys my standing here as a professional and does not issue you a refund. Instead REPLY back here. Thank you,Mike