Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Yes, this is happening to our TV won't even go on, flashing

Customer Question

Yes, this is happening to our TV won't even go on, flashing red lights tried all the off on stuff still not working, please help
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you tell me the full model number of your tv please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan
Panasonic Plasma 42" viera TH:P42V20Z
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, and thank you for the information. My apologies for missing you last night. I'm in the US on a much different time zone and had just gone offline for the night when you replied back.Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will often make more sense, as you can get a brand new LED tv of this size, with a fresh warranty, for about the same price as repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, did you still need help with this? Your question popped back up in my queue, but I didn't see any other reply.