Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Vizio e470vle. This morning after a lightning strick

Customer Question

I have a Vizio e470vle. This morning after a lightning strick it made a load pop noise and now has no power at all. It does not have any lights that turn on and it doesn't make any sound when I push the power button. I'd like to troubleshoot it. Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. When you say "trouble shoot it", you mean you're looking to repair the set yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would like to attempt to repair myself if you can help me diagnose the problem
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. So right now- no signs of life at all correct (no power light, no click, etc.)? If not, then you've got a power board failure- since there's no 5 volts present to produce the power light on the set.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
There's three versions of the power supply board for this model. In order to locate the correct one, you'll need to pull the part number off of the board in your set, and then Google that part number, or match it up at www.shopjimmy.com. The board is plug and play- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure that replacing the power supply board will repair the tv? I suspected this is the problem but hate to just throw parts at it and hope it works. I have taken the back of the TV off but do not see anything that looks bad
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, no signs of life at all means the power board is dead- so unless the mainboard was also taken out (no way to test the main without a working power board), then that is what you would need to do next. These boards appear pristine whether good or bad as they're digital- so you won't ever see a burned spot. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright I will try a new power supply board. So do I rate your advise once the tv is working again? That would be the only way for me to know if it was good advise or bad. No offense.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You can rate now or later- your call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered the power board last night. When I get it installed, I will give you a rating and let you know how it worked. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay that sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the new power board in the tv and it still does absolutely nothing. Suggestions?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please check all connections by disconnecting them one at a time, and re-seating them to make sure they are secure. Then take a reading of the 5 volt line on the power board using a multi-meter. If this voltage is missing, then you received a bad power board and need to exchange it. If the 5 volts is present, then you have a bad Mainboard and would replace that component. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter to measure the voltage, but I'm not sure where to measure the "5 volt line".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You already posted above that you have your 5 volt line. I will be away for the next few days, so have opened the question back up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to know where to measure for the 5 volts
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
On the connector marked with a "5V" on the legend next to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so both the old power board and the new power board are putting out 5v from pins 1, 2, and 3 (all the pins labeled 5v). What's the next step from here? I wish I would have been told to measure this voltage before I purchased the new power board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for some advise yet.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please reply back if you still need assistance.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still needing some advise from my previous posts.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK< most of the time lightning strike took main processor board, the one that has all video input jacks, green color board and it should be swap in TV, since power board is providing 5V output to main board in TV but no response from TV when push power button that indicates main processor chip failure due to lighting static charge and entire main board will need to be replaced.
There is substitute main board available with following supplier for $99 or so..
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=e470vle
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.