TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Have your LCD digital color tv and when I play a DVD the screen

Customer Question

Have your LCD digital color tv and when I play a DVD the screen shrinks and then returns to normal. Any suggestions for correction?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, What's the model number off of the back of the TV?
What's the make and model of the DVD player?
What cables are being used to connect the two (HDMI, RCA red,white,yellow, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV model # *****
DVD Toshiba FD-v296-K-TU
Cables red, white, yellow
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. So, has the screen shrunk in size and returned to normal since day one using the Toshiba? Does the issue ever occur when you watch regular TV programming (from a Cable/SAT box, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I asked two questions, and you simply replied "No". Can you re-read and elaborate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought dvd, vcr payler about 6 months ago. Shrinks and restores on both medias. Regular tv. no shrinkage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't charge me until I get an answer
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40538/c/65,66/p/61659,62766,72644/ Your Toshiba player is using 4x3 Low Definition picture signal and that's why you have the shrunken picture on that, but it fills the screen with the Full screen picture when you are NOT watching the VCR/DVD player. The full screen picture is the High Definition picture. You can't force your DVD player to deliver high def content because it's not capable of delivering that type of signal to your TV. There's a button on your TV's remote that is supposed to stretch the Low Definition TV picture to fill the screen. Use the wide button to fill the screen. Press it over and over to cycle the picture sizes, find the one you like the most. I prefer wide mode myself. See picture below -
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Wide button