Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a plasma TH-P58S20A I was trying to activate a new multi

Customer Question

I have a plasma TH-P58S20A I was trying to activate a new multi remote when the
went into standby mode and will not turn on I do note have the remote but it wont turn on manually either
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do you see a flashing red light on the tv?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just the red stanby button but its not flashing
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you please unplug power to the tv for 60 seconds, then plug it back in, and let me know if that light changes?What about if you then press the power button once, what happens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned off light goes out plugged back in red light comes pressed power button light off
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Does the screen seem to light up or glow at all, any clicking sounds, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a clicking sound
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you for confirming.Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This issue isn't related to the remote, which is probably just a coincidence, or the result of powering the tv on/off in rapid succession as part of the programming process. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. You may want to consider replacement as an option as well. While you can't buy a tv this size for the same cost as repairs, you can get a new LED tv of this size in the under $1000 range these days, with updated features and a fresh warranty. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou I will try that and see what happens and take it from there
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, and best of luck to you.If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1eR9QjL Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan