Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My vizio smart tv has a scrambled display when I turn it on.

Customer Question

My vizio smart tv has a scrambled display when I turn it on. I'm thinking something is connected improperly but my setup is simple - cable box, dvd player and tv. I need to at least determine if something is wrong with the tv or if i'm setting it up wrong. Can you help, please?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. It sounds like you're passing the cable through the dvd, is it a dvd theater/surround system?If you bring up the vizio on screen setup menu, does that appear normal or is it scrambled as well?What is the full model number of the vizio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan - The model # ***** ***** Maybe "scramble" was a bad description. The display looks like scrambled rainbow colors and lines. I cannot get to the menu. I disconnected the DVD player altogether and connected the cable to the TV and red, white and yellow cables from tv to cable and I get the same scrambled picture. See the attached picture.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Are you unable to get to even the vizio menu, from the vizio remote (I'm not talking about the dvd or cable menus)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I am unable to get to the vizio menu when I press "menu" on the vision remote.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Did something happen to the tv, physically?Those pictures look like there was some physical trauma - did it tip over, was hit with something, punched/kicked by a kid, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was delivered today. I cannot say how the carrier handled the tv, but I did not drop it. No kids, no animals. It did not tip over, nothing like that since it has been with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
... and the screen itself looks ok. not a scratch on the tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Oh it's new?That makes a significant difference. All signs here point to a bad lcd panel - in short, the screen is broken, and from the looks of it the tv was dropped or had some other trauma. It appears the panel is cracked or delaminated inside, thats what those lines are. Doesn't it look like a cracked mirror to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. I ordered it from hsn.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
In short though, you'll need a new tv. This cannot be fixed, the lcd panel is physically damaged. I'd get in touch with the delivery co to report the damage, and hsn as soon as possible to file a claim to get it replaced. If you wait long they'll put the blame on you for damaging it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so, it sounds to you like I connected the tv correctly?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this has nothing to do with connections used.You can't even get the menu to show, meaning it is a vizio problem.I can tell from the photo though that the screen itself is damaged, there is no getting around that and it wouldn't matter what you hooked up at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I've lost a lot already.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to pay you and now I have to pay to return the tv, plus take off work to get it all done.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but it is evident from the photo that it is physically damaged. I cannot fix that, nor can anyone else. The tv will have to be replaced, which is really the only practical resolution here. Even if it could be repaired under warranty, you wouldn't want to have to wait around to have a tech come work on it, and there is a chance other parts were damaged inside that wouldn't become evident until later. It is not your fault the tv is damaged, it looks like it happened in transit, so you shouldn't have to pay anything for that either. You can file a shipping damage claim with the carrier or with hsn. They should pay for the return shipping, and send you a replacement at no cost. Regarding the fee for our session, that is outside my control unfortunately.I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Best regards,Nathan