Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Samsung Plasma TV Model 550S1F trouble shooting help. Has

Customer Question

Samsung Plasma TV Model 550S1F trouble shooting help. Has the common no picture, no sound clicking issue. Associated details are: Displays the splash screen with no input without problem. Sometimes will show video for multiple minutes with out turning
off / clicking (HDMI, PC). Typically will allow a static input from the 'cable box' without turning off but not always. I put minimal thought into trouble shooting a couple weeks back... unplug the Y-Main YSUS Y-Sustain Board and it didn't power off. Ordered
replacement Y-Main YSUS Y-Sustain Board AND Y-Buffer Pair thinking they must be loading down the power supply. I was wrong. Still has same symptoms after replacing the boards. Appreciate your help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
Have you considered the set may have a power-supply board issue?poor regulation from the power-board may cause this, the first check are all the capacitors on the power-board as these can show physical signs like leaking/ballooning /raised domed tops do you know what these look like?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the caps look really good across the whole set. my very first thought was power supply board but had read where other issues (like a bad sustain board) can cause the symptoms. couldn't it also be the input or the main board (processor) at this point?
I have never had the logic board cause the main is a possibility but my gut feeling is poor regulation from the power-board capas may look OK but there are regulators/diodes/transistors/fets/diacs etc and they can go bad, the only real way of knowing is by using an oscilloscope on the voltage rails to see how good the regulation is, you may be able to bring on the fault by heating and freezing of the power-board (hairdryer/freezer spray)the freezer spray you can get from mcmelectronics.com or maybe radio shack.
Let me know your thoughts here
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a couple and I will be right back with the additional insights
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to like the heat. :-\ Leave on until it turns it self off and then try cold?
You really need freezer spray to do this properly, so you need to freeze components on the power-board at random to see if you can "bring on" the issue then you will know its the power-board, its not a set-in-stone method I would just swap the power-board but it may help you decide
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a can of air upside down suffice?
No you need freezer it gets the temp down to -30 or -40
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-2200
Semi conductors can get temperature sensitive when going bad you see
Let me know how this works out
Anthony