Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Sharp LCD that won't turn on. The power led blinks

Customer Question

I have a Sharp LCD that won't turn on. The power led blinks green once a second.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. 1) How long have you owned the set for, and when did the problem occur- were there any storms or power outages, etc.? 2) Does that light blink as SOON as the TV is plugged in- or only after the power button is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The set is probably 5-6 years old. There have been storms but no power outages I'm aware of. The set starts blinking as soon as the set is turned on. If you hold the power button long enough (25-30 sec.) the power light goes red. If you then push the power button the power light goes orange, you see a momentary flash on the screen, the power light goes to green flashing again.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. By "blinking as soon as turned on"- you mean AFTER the power button is pressed, correct? This is all relevant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The green power led starts blinking once per second at plug in.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. This is more likely than not a failure of the Mainboard, however the power supply board is also a common culprit. If you're looking to repair the set yourself, you're going to need a multi-meter, and to remove the back of the set, then test the connector that feeds the Mainboard (on the power supply board). If the low-voltage standby DC is present- then you will replace the Mainboard. Alternatively if that voltage is out of spec, or missing, then the power board will need to be replaced. If you're looking to perform a DIY repair, and have tools to do so- let me know and we can proceed. Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $250-$350 parts and labor (depending on where they source the replacement board from), for this repair. In this case you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area: www.tvrepairpros.com Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The layman's approach (since these boards typically appear PRISTINE even when they're bad), is to purchase the Power Board first, and if that does not correct the fault, then return it for a refund and replace the Mainboard instead. This is the method many folks without a Multi-Meter will choose to repair their own TV. The Power Supply board is available at the link below for $62 and change: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-46-LC-46D65U-LC-52D65U-LC-52SB55U-DPS-277BPA-Power-Supply-Board-Unit-/161691906724?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 Additionally, the Mainboard is showing as out of stock at all of the vendors I've checked: https://www.premiertvparts.com/product/sharp-duntke716fm01s-main-board-3/ If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a meter and I wish to continue.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The you need to follow the steps above. Let me now where you need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I obviously have low voltage, (5V standby) or I wouldn't have blinking power light. If I force a shutdown, (red power light) at turn on I get power on voltage as marked. At the inverter I get the marked 60V and 12V, screen flashes, then a click and the green power light flashes again.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Please elaborate on what the 12 and 60 volt outputs do. Do they drop? Do they stay steady?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

after the screen flashes, you hear a click, the voltages go away and the green power light starts flashing again.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please unplug the set from power, and disconnect the backlight inverters from the power supply board, as well as the T-Con. Plug the set back in and turn it on. See if you have the same symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the power light now blinks 2 times, the opc light blinks 5 times.

Sorry dinner is waiting, I'll have to continue tomorrow.

Thanks

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been out of town for a couple days, but I'm back. I'm waiting for a response to your last request for information.

Thanks

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the power 2, opc 5 is only when the T-Con and inverters are disconnected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that makes sense- since the TV is showing a panel fault (because the connections are removed from the panel). I am cooking dinner right now, and will be leaving out of town for the next week. I will have to opt out and allow someone else to step in.