Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I am attempting to connect my Sharp TV, model LC-C3742J, to

Customer Question

I am attempting to connect my Sharp TV, model LC-C3742J, to my direct TV output, which is routed through my Toshiba Video recorder/player. The Toshiba has a three wire output connection (Yellow/video - Red & White/audio). This set-up was formerly plugged into an older (model 13VT-L200) Sharp TV, and worked fine for a number of years. I recently obtained the newer Sharp set, but cannot make the set work with this input configuration.
I have attempted every variation I can think of but the set gives me only a butterfly shaped blob in the upper left quadrant of my screen, trailing a large number of colored vertical lines covering the remainder of the screen. I have no audio input at all. The set turns on and off with either of my two (old or new) Sharp controllers, but is unresponsIve to any other buttons on either controller. If I reconnect the wires to the older set, it again works fine. Help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does TV menu screen come up if push menu button on TV or its remote?
- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've typed answers to your questions twice, but my computer "ate" them both times. So I elected to pay extra fee and talk to you via phone. Information you may require will be provided when you call me. -Ron
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll try to send info again.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Ron,
Only this message came through so try to type again the following info to troubleshoot the problem..
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The newer Sharp (the one I'm trying to get to work) was purchased about a year and 1/2 ago as a Christmas gift for my 90 year old father. He since passed away, and the TV has returned to my possession. It was working fine in his home a few weeks ago. I'm relatively sure the reason it doesn't work here is because I am making some error in how I am attempting to hook up the wires.
I cannot get any reception other than the visual display described earlier, no matter what buttons I press on the controller or the set top. There are only four buttons on the set (on top) and the set is already mounted high on my bedroom wall, so I cannot read the labels to determine if one is a "menu" button. But none produce any result when pressed. The controller has a number of buttons, a few with labels worn off, but none reading "menu". I believe I have pressed every button, both labeled and unlabeled, but most produce no response at all. A few make minor changes in background patterning. Only the on/off power button appears to be working as intended.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info, as you said in initial question - "set gives me only a butterfly shaped blob in the upper left quadrant of my screen, trailing a large number of colored vertical lines covering the remainder of the screen" - is it possible for you to provide me a picture of your TV screen so I can view what is going on with TV?
It will help to diagnose the problem quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I reconnect the three wires from the new set back to the old one, it again works as before.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, did you get my previous reply about post the picture of TV screen here so I can view the issue myself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I can do that or not. I'll try.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please try it as it will save us both lots of back n forth emails.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have photo on my computer as a JPG file, but don't know how to attach it using this program. Can you provide an email address I can send it to?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Attaching the JPG file is very easy, click on paper-clip icon on above toolbar where you type the reply to post here, to attach the file.
OR can use any file sharing site such as..
www.imgur.com/
to upload the file and post here the file link so I can view it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah. Just noticed the "+ Add Files", below. I'm attaching two versions, as they aren't especially good photos. Hope this helps. -Ron
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron for pictures that helped a lot to diagnose the issue.
Unfortunately TV screen has broken internally (could be transit damage) and nothing can be done to repair it except to replace entire screen which would not be feasible/ economical option as if replacement screen still available with Sharp Parts then it would cost more than new 40 inch TV so at this point you would be better off with a new TV.
I got the broken screen idea when you stated - "set gives me only a butterfly shaped blob in the upper left quadrant of my screen, trailing a large number of colored vertical lines covering the remainder of the screen" - but want to make sure by getting picture of TV screen, I'm sorry about this news.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.