Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Is there anyway to get wireless headphones to work with a LG

Customer Question

Is there anyway to get wireless headphones to work with a LG Model # ***** TV. We have patient rooms which have two patients and two of these type sets in every room. Many times one patient will increase the volume on their set causing noise interference with the other person, causing that other person to increase their TV's volume, thus escalating the problem. If there is a way to install wireless headphones, it would greatly reduce this problem. So far I have had no luck. Please help!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first note this please;
Website charges if you ask for phone call = $18 ADDITIONAL ( not total ).
That being said , could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff Charter. I am here and have already paid $18.00 for an answer. Don't need a phone call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , had to step out for a bit .
Will send you a picture shortly for confirmation of the TV's connectors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. I have to go to a meeting in about eight minutes and won't be back for about until 9:45 AM CST.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Click the link below , does that look like the back of your tv ?https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8u181avpr16k30/2015-07-16_0951.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem about the meeting , just send me whatever headphone model number you have in hand and we`ll see about matching it to this tv .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Saw what i pointed to ?Was that the audio out jack you used ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will get this information to you when I come back. Yes tried that outlet.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k then later and I`ll get back to you ASAP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The type of wireless headphone that I have available is a "Sony" Model # ***** (RF Stereo transmitter wireless headphone).
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello againAnd you said that you tried those in that speaker out jack ?Or are they just available for a try ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try them in a tv in a few minutes. This is a set that a new patient has brought with her.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then that plug will fit in any tablet iPhone (phone) ,ipod ,ipad etc. etc. , any way you could try those headphones there ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Anything that has a headphone jack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I will try it hooked to my computer.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
good idea and note that I have to step out often today so it may be a few minutes between replies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The headphones worked when plugged into my PC. I tried it plugged into the 3.5mm jack on the back of the TV (the external speaker out jack) and had no luck getting the headphone to work.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k then just to make sure here ;Although the plug should cut off the tv`s internal speakers (manual doesn`t say much) , you still need to turn up the volume somewhat .Do you have those conditions ?Does it cut the tv speakers , is the volume up ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
The manual doesn`t say anything about the sound/audio menu but if you go in there , is there anything about internal/external speakers on or off ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, tried it with volume up. It does not cut out the tv speakers. I also tried muting the tv speakers and also programmed them to be off. Neither way allowed for the headphone to work.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then if that set of headphones work on your pc then the connection is not happening here or there is simply no soundOne thing that I did gather from that manual is that it shows a rather unusual type of plug on the speaker side (link below) , it has 4 separations but on the tv side it looks like the standard 3.5 mm plugHere is something for you to try ;With the headphones turned on and on your head /volume up , try to insert or pull out that plug slowly to see if you get to hear anything ?Also check this link ;https://www.dropbox.com/s/19slrb4v46t3sy8/2015-07-16_1205.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried slight and slow pull out, that made no difference, no sound. The manual says "use EXT speaker with BTL type (4p)" Does anyone make a 4p BTL adapter that will fit the 2p end that comes with the headphone?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Your headphones should have the 3P type ??Aren`t they stereo ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are. When I say 2 p, I mean the male end which plugs into the tv or to my PC has two bands on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other end which plugs into the headphone port of the cradle is a white and red RCA type plug.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k then yes we are talking about the same thing and right now to tell you frankly I`m getting very annoyed with LG and their "special" connector that cannot be found anywhere .In any case , sorry but I`m out of idea on this and will opt out .You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.Just stand by and someone should be with you shortly .PS. Do not reply to this or it will be sent back to me instead of reposted.If no one comes around then ;http://ww2.justanswer.com/help 1.***-***-****
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Jack was on the right track here, this is a minijack connection, but it does use a 4p connector. The reason for this is that this is not a line level output for use with headphones/etc. This is actually a speaker level output, and is intended to drive external speakers which are powered by the tv amp. An example would be a pair of passive computer type speakers. Even if you had the right cord for it, you'd blow out the headphone base station. This can be made to work, but will require rigging up an adapter. My suggestion would be to buy one of these adapters: http://amzn.to/1TFiaC3use some spare speaker wire to patch it into a speaker to line level converter: http://amzn.to/1HxbJLVThen the red/white of the headphones can plug into that converter. Alternately, if you can tell me about the source/input you are using with these tvs, there may be some other options.Best regards,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The input is satellite tv from SeniorTV, division of DirecTv. Hooked into the TV with coaxial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get the adapter and the speaker to line level converter and try your suggestion. It will be a few days I am sure before I get the parts and have it rigged to test. I will get back with you then. Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is the DTV feed coming in from a splitter or modulator unit in a remote location? Or is there a small satellite tuner box at each tv location? If the latter, have you looked for red/white analog outs on the box itself? If they are present, you can hook the headphones to it directly then either mute or disable the tv speakers entirely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the feed is from a remote telephone/computer/ satellite TV room at our facility. There are numerous receivers, transponders and such, feeding outlets to 122 televisions by way of coaxial cables. No way to easily convert the whole system all at once.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I assumed as much. If those are just a direct coax feed, and not part of a system that can only be decoded by these tvs (such as with a lodgenet style IPTV format), another possible option for you would be to keep your existing coax feed and dump it into an external tuner box at the tv site, rather than using the tv tuner.Example: http://amzn.to/1Md6JAgThat would use the external tuner to choose the channel, feed video (and audio, as needed) to the tv, but give you an external output to the headphone system. The main benefit of that is cost and complexity savings - you'd only have a single device to hook up, it would be easier to deploy, and fewer parts to worry about configuring (no loose speaker wires hanging off the tv, etc). The downside is that it adds another remote (though it should be able to control the power/volume of the tv with proper programming), and that remote may be more complicated for some residents to use. Either way will work, just something else to consider.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will keep that under advisement. I have already ordered the equip. to rig up as you earlier recommended. Should know in about 5-6 days from today.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know how it works out, when you have a chance. Note that if you are using that breakout plug, you have to be careful of which is +/- and l/r. Jack posted a pinout diagram of that earlier that you can use for reference (it is in the manual as well). to make sure they all line up properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and best of luck to you.(Note, I have to make the last reply here, or I won't be alerted when you respond again later)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan,
I got the Velleman 3.5mm stereo plug to 4P screw terminal and the Xantech SLLC1 speaker level line output converter you recommended. Wired it up and tried it with a Sony wireless headphone. It did not work. Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
How about this: Can you wire a small set of speakers to that 4p screw terminal directly? That will let us further check the tv functionality. If still nothing there even, then we know for certain that the tv simply isn't outputting any audio at all, which could be an amp fault in the tv or a service menu/firmware restriction. Did you purchase the tvs from the same company that provides your satellite signal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck in wiring two speakers into the 4P terminal directly. Tried two small auto car speakers. Look at the Velleman 4P. It has a "L" , a "R", a blank space and an arrow symbol marking the four slots to install wire. Then on the Xantech SLLC1 converter
It has a +left, - left, - right and + right, slots for wire inputs tell me the right method to wire this, in other words, which wire to which slot. So far no luck. There has to be a way to make this work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be gone tomorrow but will be back Monday, 08/03/2015.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
On the velleman, starting from the left (facing the terminals, screw slots up) are l+ L- R- R+Basically the 2 negatives go inside slots positive to the outside. Exact same order on the xantach. Even if you flipped them, as long as you keep negative to the inside, you'd be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried this wiring set up as you noted. So far no luck in getting sound. Any other ideas or do you think this is a loosing battle?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
At this point it is not looking good. The tv it would appear is locked down in the service menu to not output anything to the external connections. Without fixing that as the next step, we won't be ablet o get any signal out to the speakers/headphones. Was the tv provided by the same company that you get the satellite service from?