Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have Vizio XVT473SV with frozen 'V' on startup

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first note this please;
Website charges if you ask for phone call = $18 ADDITIONAL ( not total ).
That being said , could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am here
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I see that you already tried a cold reboot so we won`t go over that again .Just a few questions ;When you say frozen V on start up , you mean on the screen , not the logo below the screen that goes from amber to white , is that correct ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
In other words the screen lights up but is frozen on the opening logo ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - from cold start it the logo below the screen blinks amber then eventually gets to white with the stuck 'V' on the led screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
googling points towards a bad board - i'm not sure WHICH board, however ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we were away for a week and apparently there was a storm - my directv swm was taken out as was the power supply for my cell phone amplifier. I should note the tv and cell amplifier were plugged into a battery backup/ups
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then we are looking at a defective main board and this is getting to be fairly commo for this serie of vizio .Can you give me the tv`s serial number prefix letters ?May look something like LAPPGKAL
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did you wish to look into repairing this yourself ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hang on had to take a call...
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
no probs , take your time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting the ser # *****
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BALAPPGKAL3506204
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Thanks then this is your tv`s main board part # ***** / 3647-0312-0395R , click the link below; http://hdtvboards.com/content/main-board-3647-0312-0395r-vizio-tv-xvt473sv-3647-0312-0150
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Let me check other suppliers but you can also use either numbers if you`d like to do your own shopping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you certain it is the main board and not the power supply? i read somewhere that even tho one gets the 'v' and the set has power, it could still be the power supply ... also the eeprom which i guess is on the main board
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the main boards are $$$ and usually out of stock ... this is the second time power/lightning has fried a board or component in the vizio, are they worse then other brands or do they all suck?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You are correct about the eeprom for one thing then you also have that storm that traveled through the cable system and into the main board from what I gather and finally the tv would be dead if it was the power board. Can`t be there with tools and meters but after 40 years in repairs I can read the signs
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes just saw that link out of stock , let me find one and lets say that vizio does not have the best track record for main boards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about something like this? I repaired my bosch dishwasher by replacing two $3 components on its board ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIZIO-Main-Board-Repair-Kit-for-0171-2272-3923-3647-0462-0150-E472VL-E552VL/131474672016?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29979%26meid%3D7b501e455bfe4f319e0f0da8045ff79a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D221820950837
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
LOL , wish it was that easy here , ;http://www.ebay.com/itm/3647-0312-0150-0171-2272-3237-Vizio-XVT473SV-Main-Board-Trade-In-Service-/171564729097
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Your link doesn`t get me anywhere but I would take it that its for an eeprom and frankly if your tv failed after a storm , I`m not sure that its what you need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's what is in the kit:We are an actual electronics repair shop with all the training and test equipment needed to test these parts.This is brand new Vizio Main Board Repair Kit for 0171-2272-3923.
This repair kit comes with simplified instructions.
Repairs common problems and requires soldering. Needs to be installed by a technician.
Board not included.
There is no guarantee that this will fix your problem as there might be more than just one issue with the board.Kit contains the following components (all components are surface mount):
-3 regulators
-2 fuses
-5 capacitors
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Well , is there anything else I should know before we go any further ??If you are a shop , You guys should know just as well as me then that if that tv was taken out by a lightning strike then all bets are off and good luck with your kit.I would not bother anyway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the kit does not include the eeprom either ... I think i will first open the set and inspect the board(s) at this point. I'm not even sure it's worth putting in a $150 board for how much more life? These sets apparently are throw-away. If I ever was to buy another vizio from Costco, i'd buy the 5 year warranty and in my mind plan on the set lasting not more than the 5 year ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the set is just under 4 years old
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
That is correct about the extended warranty , it definitely pays off now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.5 yearsmore exact ... but it was pricey in my opinion
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Those tv`s are not made to last and 5 years is considered excellent service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has a teriffic picture though ... anyways I will open it up and see if there's anything obvious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think Samsung's are any better?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Lets say that they have their ups/downs as welll but generally I think so yes and especially in plasma
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for your opinions... so let's wind this up, can you keep the thread open for awhile in case i have something weird to report or the board numbers are not the same?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem but this post is never really closed , before or after rating you can reach me here Even in 6 months
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
If that answers your question for now then please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks! cu later
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem