Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

No picture on tv. some button pushed on receiver remote and

Customer Question

no picture on tv. some button pushed on receiver remote and then suddenly no picture!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, there's no receiver function that could prevent picture while the sound is still working. So, we have to look at the rest of the system. 1)What is the model number off of the back of the TV, and do you have the original TV remote? 2) What sources are connected to the Sony receiver (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do NO sources show a picture on the TV? 3) If you grab the original TV remote and press MENU, will the MENU display on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the menu displays. Everything was fine until one of the kids tried to turn the TV up or down (volume) with teh reciever remote and now it won't work. We have a DVD, cable box and Wii connected. Nothing changed
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm not asking if anything "changed", what I'm asking is- if you change the source to DCD- is there still no picture? If you change it to the Wii, is there still no picture? Which source doesn't show a picture- or is it all of them?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, "DVD"- not DCD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me check!!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO, I can't get anything. This is so frustrating! LOL!! Waht did she push???? One stupid button, I am guessing.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The strange thing is, there's no button you could press to stop the picture. So, please check is the TV still on the correct Input (the HDMI Input you view the Sony through)? Have you checked all of them using the TV remote to make sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, I checked that. it says HDMI1, which is what it should be. Could the TV channel have gotten changed?? does that matter??
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The TV channel isn't part of the equation when HDMI is selected. Please try this- Shut everything off, and unplug the receiver from power. Disconnect the reconnect that HDMI cable that runs from the receiver to the TV on BOTH ends- making sure it's secure. Plug the receiver back in, and turn the TV on (make sure if you're plugged into HDMI 1- that HDMI 1 is selected). Run through the Cable, DVD and Wii "Sources" on the receiver, and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sound on all but no picture. It says "no signal" in the bottom right of the TV. I turned the cable box off and on also. Nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Did you also try switching over to the DVD and the Wii?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have sound on both, but no picture
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'm digging deeper on the Sony's functions to see what I can find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you not help>?>>
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I said I was checking the Sony's functions and would post back. I'm digging through the manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh sorry. I clicked on the phone call and it said you weren't available
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I don't use the phone call facility- it costs you extra, and isn't really conducive to tech problems. We'd be on hold with each other waiting while I looked things up. Please check the remote for a button in the middle labeled "HDMI Output". Press that and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It switches from A to B. A has sound/no picture, B has no sound/no picture
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, okay. There's also a TV Input button on the remote, can you please check the other HDMI Inputs on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, I have checked them all. I think I am going to have someone local come out. This is beyond crazy!!!!!! I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
As a quick test, please press the HOME/MENU button on the Sony remote and let me know if it's GUI MENU displays on the TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing comes up
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This means the Sony is no longer sending video to the TV in any form- this isn't a setting issue. You've either got a fault in the receiver, or that HDMI cable has failed (these cables are digital and can fail without notice). Do you have another HDMI cable you can try between the receiver and the TV? Also, how long have you owned this receiver for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The receiver is 4 or 5 years old. I will have to check tomorrow to see if we have another HDMI cable.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so it's definitely out of warranty. Real quick, I'm going to check and see if there's a "factory reset" procedure for this unit- hang tight please- I'll be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have to go to bed. If you find something, please let me know. I appreciate your help!!!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm very sorry for the delay. On the remote, press the "Master Vol -" first, then press the two power buttons on the upper right hand corner of the remote. The RM setup button should flash three times- then release those buttons. Let me know once you've tried this. Then press the GUI button, and press HOME/MENU, and let me know what happens. If the receiver still does not display any video to the TV- then it's a hardware issue (internally) and requires repairs to the receiver. The average cost for that is $300 parts and labor and a shop can be located at the link below: www.stereorepair.com If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.