Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My LG 42" LCD TV all of sudden last night lost picture. There

Customer Question

My LG 42" LCD TV all of sudden last night lost picture. There was still sound though. I thought I might've hit a button on the remote or something to that affect. Then the sound went away shortly there after. Now when I turn the TV on, the red power button on the bottom goes away but nothing appears on the screen.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first note this please;
Website charges if you ask for phone call = $18 ADDITIONAL ( not total ).
That being said , could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello .A few questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are your questions?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Right now beside the fact that there is no sound or picture ;Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen is blank with some background light.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then how about the tv`s own menu , can you see it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then another question ;You said you lost the sound shortly after , is it possible that you simply switched the input and now the tv has no signal ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly, I'm sure anything is possible. I don't remember hitting any buttons on the remote when it happened. But I'm the type of person that will second guess myself.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
LOL no problem in any case right now it looks like you have a lcd controller/t-con board problem .This board cost between 15 and $35 depending on the version in your tv , several of them for this model.how do you want to proceed from here ?Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link where you can see those t-con boards;http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42LB5600
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Right now everything points to the t-con except for the sound that disappeared and that could very likely be that either tv has muted the sound or the tv is not on the correct input .You could try to press the INPUT or SOURCE button repeatedly on the tv`s remote and see if one of those input is the cable box , satellite receiver or whatever is connected to the tv .At worse right now beside the t-con you would be looking at a defective main board that can be bought for $55 also at that link.If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $200 to $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.comOr this one;http://www.tvrepairman.comThis will give you a list of repair shops in your area.You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey man! I just turned the TV on and the sound is there but the picture isn't right. The best way to describe the picture is a rainbow of colors going from side to side
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Ok then that points to the first board I was talking about , the t-con board , same diagnostic except that now it is confirmed.Same link and if you are to look into this yourself then the first thing to do will be to match your t-con with the correct version/part number you can see at that link , here it is again ;http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42LB5600