Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I HAVE A DELL TV W4201CW5001C 50 INCH AFTER IT IS ON

Customer Question

I HAVE A DELL TV W4201CW5001C 50 INCH AFTER IT IS ON FOR SEVERAL HOURS THYE SCREEN GOES FOGGY RED THEN FOGGY GREEN EVENTUALLY NO SOUND NO PIX,. THE BLUE INDICATER LITE SAYS IT IS STILL ON .,IT WILL NOT TURN OFF WITH REMOTE BUT IF VYOU MANUALLY TURN IT OFF AND ON IT WILL COME ON FOR AN HOUR OR SO AND REPEATS
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. First off, this is not Dell- and Dell has not built these Plasma monitors in several years- so their in-house tech support won't be on much use.
We are TV and Audio repair/installation experts, which is likely more suited to this type of problem.
I may be able to help but I need to ask for more info:
1) How long have you owned this unit for and when did the problem occur?
2) When the screen goes foggy red, and then green- will pressing MENU on the monitor itself- or the remote, pull up the MENU?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HAD TV APPROX 7 YEARS HAVENT TRIED PULLING UP MENU BECAUSE THE SCREEN GOES BLANK LIKT IT IS SHUT OFF
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. So it's completely black- as if the power were off (no backlights but the power light is still on correct)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES IT CAN BE TURN OFF MANUALLY NOT BY REMOTE AND TURNED BACO AND THE PIX IS GOOD FOR AN HOUR OR SO
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If so, this is an intermittent fault within the Monitor- that's not uncommon once they get on in years. There's two components that produce the lighting on the screen- which are the power board, and the sustain/buffer boards. However when the screen goes completely black (as if the set were off), and you're unable to power the unit off manually- this is most common to a failing power supply board (more specifically components on the board that are going out of spec due to heat).
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
There aren't any settings or adjustments that will fix this and the set will require service internally. The thing is, it's not as easy a diagnosis, as "replace component X to fix the set". If you're looking to repair this yourself, you will need a multi-meter and the ability to measure live voltages. If you can do this, I can help you troubleshoot and find the failing component.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
However if you're not comfortable with this type of repair, a shop will typically charge between $250-$300 parts and labor to repair. In this case, I would personally suggest weighing whether the repair is cost effective- since a brand new LED or LCD set of the same size can be purchased for around $650. If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?