Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a vizio e65-c3 and i cant seem to get the tv to stop

Customer Question

i have a vizio e65-c3 and i cant seem to get the tv to stop showing the volume level when i adjust the volume through my sony receiver. the tv's speakers are turned off. how can i get the tv to stop showing the volume level?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If your TV's speakers are turned off, then the TV is showing the Volume setting for the Sony receiver. So you need to see if there's a facility to turn it off in the receiver itself. What model number Sony receiver do you have and how is it connected to the Vizio TV? Also, what remote are you using to adjust volume?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Receiver: Sony STR-DH750. Connected to Vizio thru HDMI out to TV. Using Harmony 650 remote.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, just to confirm the Sony is what's sending the volume display to the TV, please shut everything off and remove the HDMI cable from the back of the TV (as a test). Turn the TV on and try to raise/lower the volume- is that volume bar still on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I removed the HDMI from the TV. Everything is off, except the TV. When I use the volume control from the Harmony remote, the volume bar shows up on the TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, then the Harmony is programmed wrong since it is controlling volume on the TV itself. Who programmed the Harmony remote?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I don't use the phone call facility, as tech questions are easier dealt with when you can refer back to printed information in my opinion. If the Sony receiver is disconnected, and the volume display still shows then the Harmony remote is still controlling volume on the TV. In the programming software- it asks which device you would like to control volume- then will come up with TV, or Receiver. If you selected only "receiver" then the volume would have no effect on the TV or the display- it would only control the Sony volume.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the volume bar on the tv says "Audio System" above the volume bar when i change the volume. without the receiver plugged into the tv, it doesn't say that. the harmony remote has been programmed to control the volume through the receiver.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you do another test for me please, and hit the volume button on the SONY remote, and let me know if that has any effect on the vizio display?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nathan, i fixed the issue after Aric was unsuccessful. thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update, glad it's working for you.