Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

We shut off our sharp's internal speakers, in hopes of driving

Customer Question

We shut off our sharp's internal speakers, in hopes of driving the sound to external stereo, with special cable purchased for this purpose. This failed. Now we are trying to turn internal speakers back on. Netflix wont play over stereo. Just over internals, which makes no sense. We bought a smart dvd player which plays netflix over stereo, but it sux, blacking out every 30 seconds or so.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV and external stereo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV is : Sharp Aquos, LC-70TQ15U , Stereo is Denon, AVR-X 100W
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the additional information.
Perhaps a Denon AVR-X1100W?
How is the audio of the Sharp fed back to the Denon please? ...an optical digital audio cable? ...or an ARC capable/1.4 HDMI cable?
And the smart dvd player which plays netflix over stereo also is connected by HDMI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDMI in both scenarios. Special optical cable, disappointing apparent waste of money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said at Best Buy, optical cable would work the sound if we could turn off internal speakers. We finally did that. But NO. Now we can't figure out how to turn speakers back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Denon is the 1100.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and I understand.
Have you tried performing a RESET of the Audio Settings?
Still, would you consider a simpler approach of connecting the TV to the stereo? ...but may need (if not available) another cable (inexpensive)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we tried audio reset.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Interesting! ...reset was not corrective.
Bear with me; a review / confirmation checks:
• Setup / Advanced / Audio Select is set to "Fixed";
• AQUOS LINK / Audio Output Device is set to "By AQUOS SP".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You set us in the right direction. Speakers are back on. Had to do with HDMI on/off. What was ur suggestion for simpler solution? Still don't have netflix over stereo. Lame to bypass speakers when watching movies.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great! Good to hear that the main issue has been resolved, congratulations.
A simple approach would be to feed back the analog audio of the Sharp to the Denon using a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable similar to the products shown at the link below.
http://tinyurl.com/ohvwdqz
Can you please try from the Sharp's rear/side AUDIO OUT 3.5mm jack to the Denon's CBL/SAT 1 or MEDIA PLAYER 2 L & R jacks? It would require that the INPUT be assigned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, ur saying, headphone jack out to RCA input on receiver. Can it run with HDMI to same input or require solo input. Video will be running through HDMI.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand but two possibilities:
• the HDMI cable is not rated for 1.4/ARC (hopefully);
• the Sharp does not provide conversion of Internet audio (Netflix) to digital/HDMI ARC, basically a hardware limitation depending on the version (most likely).
Confirm/check that the HDMI cable from the Denon to the Sharp is rated for 1.4. By process of elimination, it it works (well & good), then just a cable issue. If not, then the other possibility of a design limitation must be considered.
Could you please check this HDMI cable's specs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have no idea how to check cable's specs, wirhout box which is long gone. How idiotic would the hardware flaw be? Am I the only one with rhis kind of problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is probable the Sharp does not allow the conversion. This all started with attempt to get internet webcast concert over stereo with audio cable. It failed. Had to run alternate speaker lines from different source.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no. Most brands/models suffer this design limitation. There are even models where the ARC would only work if the TV is connected to an antenna or cable feed but not with any of its other connections whether HDMI, component or composite. The same limitation if using an optical digital cable from the TV to the receiver/stereo.
If unknown, then the only recourse is to purchase another HDMI cable but rated for 1.4. Could you perhaps have the optical cable replaced with such an HDMI cable? This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it works, I'll get it. Just ask for 1.4 HDMI? How do I know I'm not buying what I already have?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but without any markings, then no way. The packaging / product description would normally have that part of the specification (1.4) shown. Please see sample product in link below.
http://www.amazon.com/Ibra%C2%AE-Speed-Promo-version-14Gbps/dp/B003VL8OZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436836036&sr=8-1&keywords=1.4a+HDMI+cable
But then again and as posted above "...both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination..."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to headphone jack. Will it work for sound parallel to HDMI for video?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would work with any sound that can be heard with the TV speakers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back to the stone age. I'll try HDMI upgade first. Are we clear?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Yes please; try a 1.4 rated HDMI cable.
Post back with an update when able.
Cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.