Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung DLP - HL61A750. I replaced the chip due to

Customer Question

I have a Samsung DLP - HL61A750. I replaced the chip due to white spots. Reassembled and now I get three blinking LED's. Tried reinstalling the old chip and got the same result. I need help with diagnosis and repair at this point.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand, every time I've seen this problem occur after installation of a DLP chip, it's been caused by one loose connection from the Digital Board, or in some very rare cases- a damaged connector or a faulty Lamp. Please remove the back of the TV, and carefully remove all connections to the DMD board (where the chip is located), and also any connections to the Light Engine. Spray all connectors with De-Oxit, or WD-40, or simply ensure they are all clean- then carefully reconnect them all making sure they are secure. Double check all connections- even ones you did not remove- as simply working inside the set can pull them loose. Once that is done, put the back cover of the TV back on, plug it in and see what happens when you press power. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric,
Is the purpose of the WD-40 spray to get inside the connectors - on the copper connections or to make the connectors slide into place better? Do I just spray the outside or do I spray the connector facing me so that the spray gets inside of the connector?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. The WD-40 lubricates the connectors, and also cleans them to ensure they make good contact You would simply want to attempt to get the inside of the connectors where they slide over the pins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to let it dry for a time before reconnecting? I would normally spray and wipe with a soft cloth then let dry. I do not have any De-Oxit. I do have lots of WD 40
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, wipe off any excess and simply make sure there's no WD-40 dripping off the connector, then reconnect them. Be very careful and thorough about cleaning and re-connecting all of the connectors- then let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds good. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went through and did all the connections and retested. No change. So, just to make sure I did it again. Still no change.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. When you press power, do your fans fire up? Do the LED's inside the set light up- even for a second? If not, please check the thick grey and blue wires that run to the LED driver board- let me know if those are tight. Additionally, do you have a multi-meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric,Yes, the fans run when I press power.
The Green LED blinks and the set boots up. No picture, then it starts flashing the other two LED's. After about 20 seconds, it reboots again - Green light - and cycles through the same pattern. It does this three times and stops rebooting with all three LED's lit.I am not sure what "tight" means for the LED driver board wires. That particular connector is the most difficult to remove. It is fully seated, and cleaned. I have pressed it into the socket after clipping it in. I am only seeing the connection on the DMD board though. I have not removed the other chassis at all and the connection appears to go behind and under that chassis.I do not have a multimeter but I can borrow one.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I mean do the LED chips inside of the TV light up at any point- the ones that produce the picture?
The three blinking lights on the set usually refer to the "LED Driver" failing (which is what connects to those thick wires). So, we're going to need to test the voltage on those two wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see any obvious light inside the TV when I turn it on. I have the back cover off, but the LED's are way back. Would it be obvious that they are lighting up? I will get the multimeter.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if you could see them for sure, usually some form of light is visible if they're on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we going to test the LED driver while plugged in or am I going to be removing the chassis with the light engine on it from the TV?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Everything inside the TV and plugged in.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
TV plugged in and turned on, meter set to DC volts, test the grey and blue wires using the red and black probes. Doesn't matter the orientation (black to grey, red to blue, etc.), one will simply give a negative voltage reading- but it's the numbers we're concerned with. Let me know what voltage you find across the grey and blue wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric,
I have not used a multimeter much. So, just to be clear. I have a Craftsman 82140 Digital MM. I see the ADC setting but there are four of them 2000u, 200m, 20m and 10A. Which do I use for this?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but I will not be around much today, and will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142