Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a terk didgital flat antenna. i am trying to get local

Customer Question

i have a terk didgital flat antenna. i am trying to get local channels through it with my samsung smart tv. when i do a channel scan it finds NO CHANNELS!!! what am i doing wrong? please help
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What is the model number off of the back of the TV?
Have you checked to see if any stations are available in your area by checking the TV broadcast station locator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UN32H5203AFXZA is the model of my tv. samsung smart tv. how do i check tv brosdcast locator?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. First, are you selecting "Antenna" instead of "Cable" in the Channel Setup of the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, there was a site from the FCC that would actually show what stations (if any) you should be able to pickup using an HDTV antenna. In my area for example- I can get 3 Spanish Stations- and that's it. That site says it's been moved though. However there is another one at the following link, and you will need to enter some specific info on that page in order to see if you can pickup stations. For example, an Exterior, Powered HDTV Antenna mounted on the roof- will yield the BEST results. Inside Antennas will have MUCH poorer results. Let me know what you find: http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?Itemid=29&option=com_wrapper If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Of course there's always the chance that the TV's Tuner isn't functioning properly- and in this case, you'd want to first reset the TV to "Factory Defaults" (If you need assistance with that, let me know).
You may want to try that first- and then try also positioning the antenna in several different positions and re-running the scan to see if you can pick up anything.
If the site shows you can get strong reception, form at least a few stations, and the reset of the TV doesn't yield any better results- then an external DTV tuner box- connected between the TV and the antenna, is a cost effective solution.
Let me know.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.