Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My memorex tv has no sound

Customer Question

my memorex tv has no sound
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for the request .
A few questions first ;
What do you have connected to this tv ?
Give me a list of everything like cable box, dvd , games etc. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cable box
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then as cable boxes are known to cause sound problems , the first thing to try would be a reboot ;Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.Let me know how that goes and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the stars to rate) if that answers your question / does the trick as it is the only way i get paid for helping you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll try something else.Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Is that a question ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes usually " that's it" , give it a try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i did it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
yes and it works or you did reboot the cable box ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting for the system to reboot, I plug the cord back in, and turn on the TV and now I'm waiting
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
ok then just let it do its thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it didn't work
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem , this is a sound problem and there is always a workaround before replacing a main board .Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?Or that you could connect for a test ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just the cable box and my tv i only had it 1-1/2yrs
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k then right now we need a way to find out if the tv or cable box is at fault so disconnect the cable (from the cable company wall outlet) off the cable box and plug it directly into the tv`s antenna/cable terminal and set your tv to tv mode to see if there is sound there .There should be a few analog channels into your cable system like below channel 13
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know what's going on with the cable or tv so i'm about to go buy another one
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean that there is no sound there as well ?
I`m sure that if you mean buying a new tv then yes that should take care of that although as I said there is always a workaround for sound problems .
For example a soundbar or small sound system to connect the cable box directly into.
Either ways let me know and i will help you with that .
Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.
Thanks again for requesting me