Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My inlaws had a lightning strike. Hit the cable line in

Customer Question

My inlaws had a lightning strike. Hit the cable line in their backyard and broke the cable box and the TV. They saw a vertical white line, flash on the screen when it all went out. TV won't power on now. Cable box was replaced. TV was connected to cable
box via HDMI port. I'm a computer repair guy. You helped me fix a plasma TV last December. Thinking about trying to fix this. Can you recommend what part or parts have likely gone bad? It's a 46" Samsung LCD model UN46EH5300F
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.
What is the tv doing now if anything ?
Is there a light or blinking light at the front , clicking sound from inside when you plug in the power cord or try to turn it on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. No light. No sound when plugging in or unplugging AC power. No response when pressing the power button.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , was out by the time you replied last night. The very first suspect in this case then would be the power board part # ***** (B) and then the main board .You can see and buy both at the links below;http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Samsung-UN46EH5300F-TV-Power-Supply-Board-BN44-00667A-Television-Part-/141364901606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ea0136e6 Or here where you can also see the main boards ( 2 versions ) ;http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/un46eh5300fxza/ If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Just made those into hyperlinks , just click on them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered the parts. Let's leave this question open until I get them. Thanks!https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1540881/images/samsungTVfixParts.png
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I see that you ordered both boards which is fine but I was thinking about the power board first then return it in exchange for the main board if that does not do it .Possibly that you would need both board and in any case you are covered now but about the main boardv , did you check and match yours before ordering ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do'h. No I didn't check the exact number on the board in my TV. :( Guess I need to open it up and see. There are three variants on that page. I'm presuming they're not interchangeable. I know better.Figured I'd order both and send one back if needed. Also thinking the main board is probably bad since the energy would have entered through there - the lightning hit the cable TV line, so it would have come through the cable box then the HDMI connection. Don't think they lost electricity or had any AC problems.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are correct about the main board normally being suspect in a case like this but the fact that it is dead as a door knob also makes the power board highly suspect .
Normally the main board HDMI input will fail for example or the tv will not come on but at least you will see some signs of activity .
Anyway , if you get both then you can`t go wrong and yes check your board part number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crap. My board is BN94-06711J. It's out of stock. I ordered the BN94-05750Q. Any chance that board will work?My power board is BN44-00667A. Ordered BN44-00498A. They do have my exact match in stock.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Let me check that , this will take a bit and please do not reply to this , I`m locked on another post and that will block me
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I`ll start with that power board part # *****;Yes they have it in stock on that same page but lower on the page and you are better change your order , as a matter of fact I would cancel that order and then re-order by phone with the exact numbers on your boards .At least for the main board use the phone , you are correct , it is out of stock but they may just have it in another warehouse and will get it for you , in any case they will verify that you are ordering the correct part .And NO the other main board you ordered will not doIf they really don`t have it or do not expect to have it soon as they most often do then get it at the link below;http://www.tvpartsbay.com/bn94-06711j-bn41-01812a-bn97-06298n-samsung-main-board-un46eh5300/Or this one;http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-46-TV-UN46EH5300F-Main-Board-BN94-06711J-/291210776412