Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

So my Vizio P50HD plasma made a noticable popping sound and

Customer Question

so my Vizio P50HD plasma made a noticable popping sound and now has no power. When plugged in, the orange light on the front doesn't come on. Took back cover off to look for obvious blown capacitor or scorching but all looks a-ok.
Wondering if it could be the thing where the power cord plugs in? It say's Noise Filter on it and looks to have a part number P608 2311
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
In every case where their is no power light lit and you are sure their is power reaching the set the back of the set will need to come off (set unplugged from the wall)and some checks carried out using a meter (volt\amps\resistance)this is just to verify if the powerboard is bad, are you able to do that yourself?if so please let me know I will provide more details, the most likely suspect as it stands now is the powerboard itself.
Please let me know if you can do work or need more info
Regards
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a multi-meter so with some instructions on where to measure I can do that. Back of the set is already off to inspect for any obvious blown capacitors or scorching but nothing is evident to me. There was an 'electrical' smell when it popped and stopped working. If it matters or helps with trouble shooting, the was only powered on for like less than 2 minutes, turned it on, woke up the satellite receiver, pushed the 'guide' button and 'pop'...dead.Thanks.
Look on the powerboard for the Vs and Va test points you need to connect the red lead to each test point and black lead to metal chassis let me know what you get
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! Will check it out it out. 1 'duh' question...do I do this plugged in?
Yes it has to be plugged in
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Figured, otherwise I'd be measuring conductance. So looked at it, and saw lots of Jxxxx and Lxxx connector labels, but couldn't see any V/V+. I did see box label with connector names and expected voltage/current. Maybe the pics attached will help. If you can vector me into one such measure point it may lead to the rest?Thanks.Sorry.
As you look at that second photo of the power supply board the vs and va are clearly marked on the bottom left plug and socket you have to move the wires to see it marked on the board you insert the red lead into the metal pin and the black lead goes to metal chassis
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Anthony. So plugged in, set voltmeter to VDC, measured 0 at all Vs and Vas and just for fun tried a random 5v connection on the same harness. Then measured a 9V battery to make sure voltmeter was working. These are all on the 'cold' side of the power supply (behold the power of youtube) I think. If on that side I have 0 power, where to I measure next?
OK you need to disconnect the scan boards from the power-board these are the boards left and right of the power so unplug them from the powerboard and take the voltages again the meter set to around 300/500vdc red lead to point black lead to metal chassis
Let me know what you get
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. Still measuring 0. I disconnected this connector (in the picture) as it seems to daisy chain to the scan boards on either side. I didn't disconnect the main board at the bottom. Tried looking at the fuse but not sure which one to measure?
Just check on ac that you have the 120vac coming into the power-board by going right across the I think its the red and blue lead on the left, you must have that first set in the ON mode
Anthony