Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have a Samsung blue-ray player. we are trying to connect

Customer Question

we have a Samsung blue-ray player. we are trying to connect to Netflix but when we do the screen goes blank. we have used this player before and watched Netflix with no problems.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Were you using this player with this same tv previously?Do any other apps have issues (youtube, hulu, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, same tv. none of the other apps seem to have a problem. except, last night we were listening to Pandora and the music would change but the icon for the performer was stuck on the same person.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
What model tv are you using?I assume a hdmi connection, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rca with hdmi
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Full model number please.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Also, have you updated the bluray at all? From the setup menu look for the advanced section then for the Firmware/Software update feature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cant get to the model number, against the wall. other apps work, just not netflix
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
There are a lot of variables here, so I really need the tv model to give an accurate assessment.Have you done the firmware update on the player?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That unfortunately is the limit of what we can do at this point without the tv info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
L40FHD41YXD
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that is a 1080p tv, so it isn't a resolution issue. The most likely problem is a hdcp communication defect in the tv. As this is an older model and very low end tv, it is prone to this type of problem, which can develop as security standards are updated over time on external devices like the netflix app, which has more stringent standards than the other apps for copy protection.The only sure fix for that would be a firmware update for the tv, unfortunately there is not one available from RCA, who typically doesn't provide this type of support as other manufacturers do. Before doing anything else, so we can confirm the issue, have/can you test the samsung with another tv, to see if the same issue happens elsewhere on netflix?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOT AT THIS TIME. I WILL DO THAT LATER AND SEE IF IT CORRECTS THE PROBLEM. THANKS
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well I don't expect connecting to another tv to fix the problem, it would just confirm for us if this is a samsung issue (less likely) or a rca issue (more likely).Assuming it is a tv issue, there are some alternate options. We can't make the samsung work, but there are other devices I can recommend that would.Let me know what happens,Nathan