Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

My 7 year old tv just went white I have audio. Help

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am an independent tech connected to you via this pay for assistance website service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):
1. Can you see any sort of picture on the screen or is it just full white?
2. If you bring up the tv menu using the button on the tv itself or the original samsung remote, can you see the menu at all? is it clear?
** REPLY to continue **
** do NOT start a new question **
** REFRESH this page if you don't see my reply **
** IGNORE the subscription POP UPS **
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see dim shadows
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
same with the tv menu?
please unplug the tv POWER cord, wait 3 minutes, plug it back in and turn on the tv. Let me know if anything changed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cord into the wall outlet
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
The tv POWER cord, either on the back of the tv or at the wall plug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same white picture. Is this a rip off site
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
I am a real field tech with 10 years of repairing tv's just like yours.
I have been providing answers here on this site for more than 4 years.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Since unplugging the power cord did not clear the problem, the tv needs parts and service. In your case the Tcon board needs to be replaced. If you wish to open the tv, order the board, and install it into the tv then I can help you with that. REPLY back here if you get stuck during the repair. Here is one place to buy the tcon board (you MUST get the numbers off your board FIRST):
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LN46A550+tcon
If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of thing then you would need to call a repair shop which will end up costing $300 or more. So in case you think this answer was of no help to you, I assure you the advice I've given you is well worth it considering the time and money you would have spent using a local repair shop because they will collect a non-refundable diagnostic fee up front of $100-$135 and won't offer any of the DIY information that I have. You now have the power to use the money you saved toward a new tv if you choose.
Before we go any further, please be sure to take a moment right now to click the positive rating so that I get credit for helping you today. Doing so does not finish or close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly depends on your positive rating.
Please do not click bad-poor rating if you are unhappy. Doing that destroys my standing here as a professional and does not issue you a refund. Instead REPLY back here.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So where is my answer. I agreed to the initial $5 but now you added $33 to my card. I would appreciate you removing that amount since you did not help me. If you don't I am going to dispute it with my credit card company
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
The price of your question was clearly set when you came to this site and entered the details. $5 is the deposit. The rest is not charged until you click the positive rating.
So back to your tv problem... Now that you know that calling a repair shop means paying a non-refundable $135 diagnostic, you should understand that I just saved you at least $100.