Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Vizio TV and today, the sound suddenly stopped

Customer Question

I have a Vizio TV and today, the sound suddenly stopped working. I'm not sure if my son did something with one of the remotes or something, but I've tried everything; it's all components too (cable box and Apple TV, so it seems that the TV is the problem. When I press the volume or mute buttons on either of the 2 remotes, I can see at the bottom of the screen that the TV "hears" the remote (which is new), but still no sound. Any thoughts?!?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. When you press volume buttons, do you see the indicator change on the tv screen?Are you using only the tv speakers, or any external sound system?What is the full model number of the tv?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press the volume buttons on the TV, the usual volume indicator doesn't show; instead, in the bottom left hand corner of the TV, it says "Audio System - VOL+" (or - if I press the down button)..
I've tried both the TV speakers and external system and neither work.
The full model # *****: KDL-40V5100.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
What external system are you referring to?That is a sony tv. Do you have a vizio sound system?How are those connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The external system is a "DVD Home Theatre System" (which we never use for audio unless watching a movie, but I tried it anyway). And sorry, it's totally not Vizio, but it says "Bravia" on the screen for a bit when we turn it on. Sorry, long day!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That's ok, just want to make sure of what we're working with here. Can you please go into the sony setup menu, and look for an audio out, external, or theater setting, or even just the tv speakers setting. That needs to be set to Tv speakers, or On. Not set to an external/output signal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was under the Sound menu, but it's set to TV speakers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is where it should be.Are you sure this happens on all inputs/sources?Can you tell me how that theater system is connected to the tv (what type of cord/cable)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I tried all 3 inputs, the DVD/Theater System works, because it has it's own speakers...the Cable and Apple TV use the TV speakers, and neither if them work. But I definitely feel like the TV is on some weird setting, because of those words at the bottom rather than just no volume indicator when I try to adjust the volume.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I agree, which is why I was asking about the connection from tv to theater system. If it is hdmi, it would explain the glitch - the tv thinks it is outputting sound to some other system.Did you ever have the other devices (cable, atv) coming through the surround speakers before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is connected with an HDMI. No, we never have the TV or atv coming through the theater system (for lack of knowing how to make that happen), it's always just through the TV speakers. We've had this TV etc. For 6 years, why would this just all of a sudden start today?!?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Look for a setting in the tv called HDMI Control or HDMI Sync or Bravia Sync and turn that off. If no change, unhook the hdmi plug from the theater for me and then see if that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes!!! That worked!!! Thank you so much, that was torture not being able to heR anything!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*hear
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Great! Glad to hear that did the trick for you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1eR9QjL Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan