Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Toshiba model 50hp95 will not turn on power light on front

Customer Question

Toshiba model 50hp95 will not turn on power light on front of TV blinks all the time what is wrong is it worth fixing
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the toshiba. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 200 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. The tv is past its expected service life at this point. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv this age however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty and updated features in the $500 range these days. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards ***** ***** for the news,Nahan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank that help a lot
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and best of luck to you. Here is an example of a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/1CsHpD7 If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50-100 (depending on size) which is well worth it.As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a chromecast, roku, appletv, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1eR9QjL Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan