Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My rca tv will not come on the power light flashes but tv will

Customer Question

My rca tv will not come on the power light flashes but tv will not come on
Tv model no.G35830WK
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply component, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 1995 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for the older CRT technology, a 20 year service life is well past what is expected. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. The biggest hurdle here is finding parts, though it is difficult to even find a shop/tech that will still work on tube tvs any longer. For a tv of this age though, replacement would make more sense. You can get a brand new flatscreen LED tv with a fresh warranty and updated features for the same price or less than repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I knew about unplugging the tv and doing what you said ,needless to say the set still won't turn on .
What I would like to know what part or parts you think might be bad and where they are located. Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned unplugging, but this specific process I mentioned may be different which is why I explained it.Honestly, these CRT tvs are not something intended for the end user to work on. This is not like a modern flat screen tv where you can buy a $50 power supply board and just pop it in with a few screws.There are literally thousands of components inside this tv that could cause the problem. You would need to be experienced with electronics repairs, able to use a meter to test live voltages, able to solder, desolder, etc. There are extremely high voltage components inside these tube tvs that can kill you if you aren't extremely careful and know exactly what you are doing. If I had to take a best guess, it is most likely a fault in the power supply or high voltage section of the tv, but again that is something that would require detailed diagnostic testing and subsequent component level repairs.