Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Mitsubishi DLP flipped off and the green light is blinking

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi DLP flipped off and the green light is blinking on the front. Any ideas whatthe problem is/
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. What's the model number off of the back of this Mitsubishi TV please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WD 73838
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. Does the light ever change to Red at any point?Also has any work at all been done on this set- and if so, what and when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and No.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the Lamp has never been replaced? That is likely what's causing this. However please try the following steps and let me know what happens. 1) Unplug the TV from power. 2) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. 3) Wait a minute them plug the TV back in and press power once. Let me know if you can hear the Fans fire up, and exactly what the lights on the TV do please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fans and just get the green light flashing again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lamp has never been replaced
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
That's bizarre- no fans? Okay, this means that either the power board in the set is locked up/faulty, or there's another hardware problem in the TV. Does that green light keep blinking non-stop, or does it eventually go out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It keeps going non-stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried unplugging it a few times and plugging it back in before I called you. Everytime I plugged it back in the Green Light just started flashing again.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
There's a procedure to try and get an error code on this set that will tell us more about what's going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK how do we get that?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Actually hang on- that's for another Mitsubishi chassis. This one uses a number of red blinks, and a number of yellow blinks of the power light to generate the code- and there's no way to manually pull it up- it will automatically blink it if the processor is working.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Since yours keeps blinking green- it simply means the DM module isn't booting up. However try pressing and holding power fro 10 seconds right now, and see if that light changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Funny you mention that I tried it before you even asked, when I hold the power button down for about ten seconds (while the green light is flashing) the power clicks on (or tries to click on)momentarily and the blue light on the front illuminates for a moment. It turns off immediately after that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean the blue light turns off immediately after that. The green light keeps flashing.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
After the blue light turns off, then what does it do- stay off, or start blinking green again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blue light is for effect on the front of the TV. The green light is immediately above the manual power button on the left front of the TV. It is the Blue light that comes on momentarily and then turns off when I Hold the power button down for 10 seconds. The green light is always blinking whenever the tv is plugged in. It usually is a solid green when the set is functioning correctly.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I just want to be sure that light never changes to yellow or red. if not, then you have a DM module failure in the set that requires replacing the entire module. This part is commonly around $125 pulled or used, and requires dismantling the TV to access it. Shop Jimmy commonly has this part available if you're looking to repair the set yourself, but is currently showing as out of stock: http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-955b405008-chassis.htm
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you're not comfortable attempting a DIY repair then a shop will typically charge around $300 parts and labor to fix the Mits for this issue and can be located at the link below: www.tvrepairpros.com I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they come out and fix it? This is a big set. Also any tips on how to get it done any cheaper?? Also are you positive that this is the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also what is a DM Module?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Most shops come in home for repairs these days, as it takes up too much space to have these in the shop. The cost i quoted is the average charge for your model number with this problem, and as far as being sure it's the problem- it's as sure as anyone can be without having the TV open and measuring voltages from the power supply board. The DM is the general term for "Digital Module" in a Mitsubishi DLP TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, shop rates do vary, as do their repair protocol. Some will repair down to a component level ( replace offending capacitors on the power supply board), while most others will replace the entire module. You would need to contact iindividual shops to see what their practices are.