Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  3 years experience
15852642

I am having a problem with my Panasonic TC-P55GT31 television.

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my Panasonic TC-P55GT31 television. Side of TV was bumped and got 7 blinks. I took off the back cover and remove the power from the board located on the left side. I did not remove the ribbon cable connected to this board. I continued to get 7 blinks. I removed the ribbon cable and I am now getting 8 blinks. I was unable to find threads with this exact situation
Category: TV
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you replaced any of the boards yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i have not replaced any boards yet. It have just done some troublehooting.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok 8 blinks is normally the SS board, if you connect the ribbon cable again does it continue with 8 blinks or go back to 7?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the power to the board disconnected but ribbon cable is connected. I am now getting 7 blinks.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok 7 blinks normally means the y sustain board has failed. Can you disconnect all ribbon connections and the power connection from that board? It the y sustain is bad with it completely disconnected you should get 6 blinks. When looking at the back of the TV it should be the board that is vertical on the left side.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what i have read online. My tv goes to 8 blinks when i remove the ribbon cable
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you for the picture that is the correct board and should have gone to 6 blinks if it was the problem. Reconnect it and this time disconnect the SS board. Yours may look different since this is from a 65" but it should look something like this:
http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-ny32qje8/products/33770/images/67075/PANASONIC_TC_P65ST50_SS_BOARD_TNPA5648AE__93116.1431560932.380.500.JPG?c=2
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You want me to reconnect ribbon cable and power to that board correct? Also the only board that looks similiar is in the upper right hand corner. Should i disconnect power and ribbons? I am asking because i have gotten different results on the other board depending on what i disconnected.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
Reconnect the board you sent a picture of yes. I was able to find a picture of the one you should have, disconnect this one:
https://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/540x360/f6780bb04c7dec59db3bae8af89107cc/S/h/ShopJimmy-TXNSS1NVUU-TOP.jpg
Let me know if you continue to get 7 blinks after that.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reconnected power and ribbon to original board. I have disconnected power and ribbon cable to board in pic and i am now getting 7 blinks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her is a pic of all boards
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you, ***** ***** you are saying either the SU or SD has failed and they need to be replaced. Here is a service manual (not for your exact model but does apply to it) please go to page/slide 18 in it:
http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/getfile.php?mode=viewpdf&req=Panasonic_2012_PDP_Troubleshooting_Guide_ST50_ST_Series_[TM].pdf&mfg=Panasonic
On the very left of the diagram you should see the SU and SD. Go to the slide 20 and follow that to check the resistance of those two boards. You would want to look for shorts on them. You may have all 3 boards being defective which the slide right after that explains using a flow chart.
If all 3 check out properly we already ruled out the SS board, the only board left that could cause this would be the A board. If you have a multimeter you can go a little further and test the caps on the SC board as it could be a blown cap we are not seeing, if it is you would need this rebuild kit:
https://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-txnsc1nvuu-sc-board-component-repair-kit.htm
If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Panasonic.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping to just be able to replace a single board and move on. It sound like there may be a couple of potential issues. I do not have a multimeter and I do not see any burn marks on any of the boards. I may be a little over my head at this point. Do you think calling GeekSquad would be a good idea at this point? Do you have any experience with them or idea on costs? Do you have an idea of costs of the boards and where I could purchase? It seems like a few places were out of stock on similar items.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.
.
eBay is honestly the best place for parts normally as Panasonic stopped making the parts for these models. As for GeekSquad I would never recommend them see this for why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZq4UnkgZQI
While not all GeekSquads are like that more than often this is how they are. You would want to look for a smaller local electronics repair shop instead. Inside they normally look like a "electronics graveyard" behind the counter.
As for the price just the SC board is around $150 that is why I sent the rebuild kit instead of a link to the board. Labor would be about an hour at the shops rate. Normally around $75. Here is a page with a list of all the parts to get an idea of what each board costs:
https://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=TC-P55GT31
.