Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

The tv will not respond to remote. I replaced with a new one

Customer Question

the tv will not respond to remote. I replaced with a new one still doesen't work .It works fine with the side controls
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , thanks for the request and sorry but was out for a bit whem you sent it.
About that new remote , is it an original or universal remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New original
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then by the look of it you may have a defective remote sensor in the tv .
That part is not very expensive and usually cost less than $20 .
With my help , did you wish to look into replacing that small board yourself or just have an idea of the costs involved in a shop ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have new fios remots also. I had a westinghouse tech tell me to try pointing the remote at a mirror and then try it. that worked one time and then stopped, thats when I bought the new remote which akso doesen't work. I find it hard to belive thst the problem is the remotes.I had a repair guy tell me $100.00 plus the part. I have fixed my computer a few times so if it's as simple as changing out a board I should be able to do.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
No problem then , this is much like fixing up a PC .The usual test for the remote is with a camera , modern camera will see the infrared light and show it to you on the screen when the remote is working.Right now I`m looking for that small sensor board .Be back ASAP with that info
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
By the way , while you wait , if you want to test your old remote , (which I would have had you try in the first place) here is how its done if you have a cell phone camera,digital camera or any camera that has a display or screen ;Turn on the camera and point the front of the remote at the camera lens ,then while looking at the remote through the screen press buttons on the remote.If the remote is working, you should see light coming out the front of it while looking at it through the camera screen.If you see nothing coming out and are not sure if you did the test correctly then try it with a known working remote.You can look at the link below to see an example;http://www.theremotedoctor.com/trouble_files/remote_setup2.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried the camera. I am seeing a light on the camera
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then that confirms the defective IR sensor on your tv .Right now I`m having a bit of a hard time finding that sensor for that particular model but with the number directly on that board I`m sure I would find it , the same board is often used in various models .To give you an idea of what it would look like on your tv , here is one from a VR4085 ;http://www.shopjimmy.com/westinghouse-1-05-06-0001000-034-led-ir-remote-sensor.htm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I have to take the back off thetv and look for a board
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did you check the link above ?Your remote sensor would be similar and will sit right behind the sensor window at the front and yes you will have to remove the back cover to replace it but if that is not convenient for today then just give me some more time and I`ll see if I can find it without the part numbers directly on it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See if you can find the number please. I am having a few people over in a little while. If you can't find it today is it possible to send me a e-mail with the number or do I just take it apart tomorro and find the number and order the part. I am trying to save as much as I can. You have already helped me a lot. Thank you
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I just can`t seem to find that board anywhere so I will need the numbers directly on it .From what I can see though , the link I gave you might just be the correct part as I found that it also fits in the vr-3225 which is the 32" version of your model
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You can see more details here although that one is for the 3225 and they also show the key board ;http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Westinghouse-32-VR-3225-Button-IR-Sensor-Board-1-05-06-0001***-***-****000-043-/221332214272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33886d9200
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much time do I have to get you the#?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You can get back to me next week if you wish , this post never really closes.Let me know when you can get around to check that number and if it does indeed turn out to be that board then you have 2 links where you can buy it .In any case your sensor IS the culprit so that is the answer for today .If that answers your question for now please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it help to give you the serial #
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Not at all , sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it cost me extra if I get back to you ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had to step out again .No there are no other charges this is it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am taking the back off. took all the screws oput. How does the back come off ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Well now this is different for all models but if it does not come off by pulling straight out then often you will have to take off the base stand and look for screws behind it .If the cover is snapped in place as well then start where the base stand was and work you way up etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will you stay with me as I do This ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Lunch time here , will be out for a half hour , just take your time and if the cover offer resistance then look again for missed screws and especially around the input terminals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok have the back off and it looks like a part # ***** or cn2b or cn28 the cn 3 is on the top the L 3 is on the back. I hpe this helps.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did you look on both sides of that board ?Perhaps a number that starts like 1.05..........
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is simaler to the first link that you sent me I have this # ***** the L26492--3330126340021
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the part it was held in with one screw and has a small bulb that looks white and a globe that looks black. One is probably the receiver and the other is probebly the indicator light so I' m sure this is the part that we are looking for.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Right now if I search Westinghouse with the number you gave me , I end up with a thermostat for a freezer. Yes you should have the standby led and also the ir sensor which is the larger part and usually in a shop I would replace only that part , not the whole sensor board so what I would suggest here is to buy the one at shopjimmy and if it does not do the trick outright then take both boards to a shop where they may charge you $10 to swap the ir sensor or perhaps do it yourself , this is only 3 pins to solder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I put this back together without the part that I removed so that I can take it to a shop and try to match it up ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
yes that should not stop the buttons directly on it from working.Just give it a try before closing it up .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You could even re-install the base stand without the cover and leave it off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try. I don' know why these 3's don't match up but they are the only ones on the part. the part on the Jimmys link looks like it might work but the connector on mine is on the end not the side otherwise they look simaler.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k then the sensor itself will have to be swapped