Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

RCA 25" Model F25442 has a white horizontal line across the screen, about 1/2" ,

Customer Question

RCA 25" Model F25442 has a white horizontal line across the screen, about 1/2" , wide and plays sound when disconnected from a cable modem. Set did play music through a cable modem after the picture disappeared; having difficulty changing to music channel with new cable modem.
Cannot see any pictures on the screen. Suspect a power surge.
Tried replacing the cable modem box once; the old cable modem box was very hot. After the picture disappeared, there was a smell of electronic components burning at the back of the TV set.
Cannot locate a reset button.
The set makes an audible click when the remote on / off button is clicked.
Is the set repairable? If so, at what cost?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first note that if you request a phone call , in most cases i can do that but the website charges for this is an EXTRA $18 and NOT TOTAL $18 .
For other billing inquiries phone # *****
That being said ;
Right now I have a good idea that there is a lot of unnecessary info here.
Lets concentrate on the tv and then we`ll see if any of the internet connect has any bearing ?
Beside that horizontal line , is the screen totally dark ?
If you try the TV's own menu for example , does it show up.
Prior to this , was the picture somewhat shrunk at the top when the tv was cold or perhaps fine slanted lines from the top going down into the screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White line and rest of screen is totally dark.
With the cable modem disconnected no Menu is displayed when the Menu button is pressed on the front of the TVThe picture was fine prior to this, but was getting a bit dark. It was difficult to see shows that had darker background.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is on now. When I press the menu button, the sound (static noise) disappears. But the 1/2" white line across the TV set remains. The line is about 1/4 of the way up the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electronic burning odor at back of TV set when picture was turned on. Old cable modem was very hot on the bottom; Cable modem sits flat on the carpet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found a loose component in old spike protector when it was rattled. Suspect power surge. Located in Anchorage, AK.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then you tv has a vertical deflection failure .
This is a deflection system , horizontal and vertical , right now that lines stretches horizontally in the middle of the screen as the hor. deflection is still working but it is not being driven vertically .
This used to be a common problem with these old tube tv and often caused by weak or broken solder joints on the vertical output chip .
For example you may even get the picture back by giving a few slaps on the sides of the tv but even then you would still need to open the tv and resolder that chip and then agan it may have simply failed .
Either ways you will need the help of a local repairman on this and for an old girl of that age it may not be practical as you may be looking as much to get it repaired as getting a new 32" tv for about $250 .
Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today ,like some sort of reset but this is not the case i`m afraid .
Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is rated if you have other questions.
Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.
Happy 4th
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack, Why the burning odor when the TV was started? The TV worked fine for close to a year after moving. The local utility may be having trouble and power surges are likely.Is there any chance there is a fried electronic component at the back of the TV? The spike protector was damaged per the manufacture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can open the TV and inspect the back. There may be a visible burn mark on a circuit board or on an electronic component.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You response indicates multiple lines. There is only one white bar across the screen. The white bar is horizontal and about 1/2" in width. This white bar is about 1/4 of the distance from the bottom of the screen.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I would not know about your surge protector but one thing I can tell you is that I`ve been repairing TV's since the 70`s and nothing external can cause the problem you have now .
If the TV's own menu does not show up and you have a white line across the screen then you have a vertical deflection failure and ths is NOT a guess , it is a certainty.
Just saw your last post and you are welcome to take a look but mind your fingers for the high voltage and in any case unless you are the proud owner of a tv repair shop and have at least 20 years experience in tv repair then nothing to be seen in there .
This is not like a lcd tv where you can just swap a board , you have to test and replace components
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an electronic circuit board available from RCA that includes this electronic component? If so, what is the P/N of the replacement circuit board? Are there other electronic circuit boards that could have been damaged by a power surge?Is there a capacitor inside the set that could provide a spike?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restated: Is there a capacity inside the set that can provide a shock?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
As I said above " This is not like a lcd tv where you can just swap a board , you have to test and replace components "these tv`s were made to be repaired at component level with solder iron , meters , oscilloscope tec. and then re-aligned manually . so the answer is NO there are no easy fix or DIY that can be done on this and to answer your opening post question " Is the set repairable? If so, at what cost? " No it is not reapiarable by yourself and you would be hard pressed to find a tech. that will do it and then you are lloking at no less than $300 to $400 and that is if parts can be found .Sorry but the time has come to retire this old tv .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a good circuit board in your shop? If so how much? Or are the circuit boards available from RCA (or an aftermarket supplier)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Alaska that cost would be higher. My old Magnavox, which was the same vintage, had circuit boards inside.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A replacement, 32" TV set goes for $200.00.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jack. If you have any additional thoughts, my email address is***@******.***. That may be the component that was damaged. Bit I heard a pop and then smelled a distinct electronic burning odor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the explanation for the damaged surge protector? Wouldn't the spike damage a power supply board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jack, One last question. Do your manuals indicate if there are plug in electronic components / chips / chipsets for the Model F25442 25" entertainment series TV? It's the Guide Plus Gold Star series.I've read your responses, but found replaceable chipsets in another TV of the same vintage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Modular components that are pre-tested by Jack and that are easy to bolt in / plug in, can be installed. Just tell me How to keep from getting shocked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy 4th
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially and perhaps more importantly, are you able to do soldering of small parts? ...and preferably access to and familiarity with a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie,
I have access to a multimeter and can solder joints. Will I need a special soldering iron that is rated for small electronic circuits rather than a Weller soldering gun?What parts would be required to repair the vertical deflection circuit? Who supplies them? Where are the parts located on the TV set? Do you have a diagram / picture of the insides of the 25" TV?I suspect that a power surge may have been partially responsible for the damage to the TV. The spike protector had a loose component rattling around the inside. RCA Model F25442 purchased in 9/02
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound works, the remote works, and I can still change stations with the remote. But I cannot read the 1/2" wide white line across the middle of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rest of the screen is black.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The set was made by Thomson Multimedia Inc.Is the repair time consuming or just 1 or 2 parts? You are indicating that the parts are solder in. Is there a chance that the parts are plug in?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and appreciate the post back. The most likely suspect would be a failed vertical output IC. However, it is also possible for a cold solder issue (likely) or even a low or missing Vertical supply voltage (least likely). On:• need a special soldering iron that is rated for small electronic circuits rather than a Weller soldering gun? - a 30watt soldering iron would serve the need;• What parts would be required to repair the vertical deflection circuit? - in most instances/versions, Vertical Output IC. Depending on the version, U14501, an LA78041;• Who supplies them? - NLA (no-longer-available) HERE, try inquiring from HERE or consider a substitute HERE;• Where are the parts located on the TV set? - attached to an aluminum heatsink;• Do you have a diagram / picture of the insides of the 25" TV? - unfortunately none;• The rest of the screen is black - to be expected because the vertical height is lower than normal;• Is the repair time consuming or just 1 or 2 parts? - just 1 part but with several legs (7) to be de-soldered and re-soldered;• Is there a chance that the parts are plug in? - most unlikely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you determine which part is the correct replacement?
What parts would be required to repair the vertical deflection circuit? - in most instances/versions, Vertical Output IC. Depending on the version, U14501, an LA78041What connections need to be de-soldered and re-soldered?
Is the repair time consuming or just 1 or 2 parts? - just 1 part but with several legs (7) to be de-soldered and re-soldered;How does one determine if it is a cold solder issue or vertical power supply issue?
it is also possible for a cold solder issue (likely) or even a low or missing Vertical supply voltage (least likely).
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
On:• How do you determine which part is the correct replacement? - visual inspection and the part would look something like the product shown HERE;• What connections need to be de-soldered and re-soldered? - as can be seen from the picture above and as earlier posted, seven (7) legs;• How does one determine if it is a cold solder issue...? - cold-solder would look like the solder conditions of a leg shown HERE and re-soldering would be the prescribed approach;• How does one determine if it is a...vertical power supply issue? - when active there should be around +26 at pin 2 of the IC. If none, then vertical power supply problem. A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the TV be plugged in, active/turned on and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution. This model has extremely high voltages even when unplugged and more so when active.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any standard practices on discharging onboard capacitors / power supplies before working on a set? How do you identify the capacitors that are still holding a charge? How are the capacitors discharged without damaging other electronic components?Is it necessary to remove the circuit board to replace the defective IC?+26V at pin 2 of the IC compared to chassis ground? Where do you connect the ground?The photos help a lot.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
On:• Are there any standard practices on discharging onboard capacitors / power supplies before working on a set? - merely leaving it unplugged for an extended period of time would discharge the power supply capacitor;• How do you identify the capacitors that are still holding a charge? - the danger would not be from the capacitor but from the picture tube (CRT) itself that behaves like a capacitor. Please see video tutorial HERE;• How are the capacitors discharged without damaging other electronic components? - see video tutorial HERE;• Is it necessary to remove the circuit board to replace the defective IC? - to de-solder, yes on the bottom of the circuit board;• +26V at pin 2 of the IC compared to chassis ground? - to identify pin 2, see HERE;• Where do you connect the ground? - the metal frame/chassis of the TV and/or the spring/ground strap around the CRT;• The photos help a lot - agree. Since you have a unit, perhaps you can remove just the back cover and provide clear pictures of the inside and the board(s).Thereafter, I can re-post the same pictures with labels and identify the parts and areas of concern. This would allow me to see what you are seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the chassis number?Can I buy the IC and soldering iron from Radio Shack, if they are still open?I'll try to get a photo of the back.The set stopped working one day without any significant vibration.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
On:• Where do I find the chassis number? - If there is a chassis number, then it would normally be printed on a sticker or label attached to a flat metal or plastic;• Can I buy the IC - as posted above, try inquiring from HERE or consider a substitute HERE;• soldering iron from Radio Shack - yes click HERE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Louie. I'll attach files over the weekend that include photos. It appears to be a good time to get the IC on order.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the update now and again later when able.
Cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a 25 watt soldering iron be a good choice and help prevent overheating of components and circuit boards?No hyperlink came through
• How do you identify the capacitors that are still holding a charge? - the danger would not be from the capacitor but from the picture tube (CRT) itself that behaves like a capacitor. Please see video tutorial HERE;• How does one determine if it is a...vertical power supply issue? - when active there should be around +26 at pin 2 of the IC. If none, then vertical power supply problem. Is this + 26VDC?Do any components need to be discharged prior to removing the heat sink or circuit board with the vertical deflection IC? Capacitors or TV tube? Or is leaving the set unplugged for a day or two sufficient? Is a couple of hours sufficient?Is it possible that the flyback transformer is defective?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
On:• Would a 25 watt soldering iron be a good choice and help prevent overheating of components and circuit boards? - yes with correct soldering procedure;• How do you identify the capacitors that are still holding a charge? - the danger would not be from the capacitor but from the picture tube (CRT) itself that behaves like a capacitor. Please see video tutorial HERE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dAMhqwWBwg;• How does one determine if it is a...vertical power supply issue? - when active there should be around +26 at pin 2 of the IC. If none, then vertical power supply problem. Is this + 26VDC? - yes;• Do any components need to be discharged prior to removing the heat sink or circuit board with the vertical deflection IC? - yes;• Capacitors - yes;• or TV tube? - yes;• Or is leaving the set unplugged for a day or two sufficient? - for the capacitors yes;• Is a couple of hours sufficient? - no;• Is it possible that the flyback transformer is defective? - no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Parts ordered from eBay Louie. Have an old soldering pen, solder wick, and solder in storage. Hope to have that available in the next few days.Is there a safe method of discharging the TV set prior to removing the back cover? The concern is the high voltage charge stored in the CRT or other components.
• Do any components need to be discharged prior to removing the heat sink or circuit board with the vertical deflection IC? - yes;
• Capacitors - yes;
• or TV tube? - yes;
How do I discharge the TV tube?Photos are on hold and opening the case is on hold until a safe method of discharging the TV tube is identified.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Please see / go to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dAMhqwWBwg