Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Trying to figure out problem with television...

Customer Question

trying to figure out problem with television...
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
What symptoms do you have with the TV please?
I will need the model number please found on the back of the set?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MS3252S431...no picture or sound, just power light
Is the light lit in the ON mode or is it OFF in standby mode?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know about standby mode, just know that power, on/off light comes on when I push power button...power, on/off light goes out when I push power button a second time...ie, tv turns on and off...just no picture or sound
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and welcome back to JustAnswer, Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only... Initially, if there is power entering the Magnavox, then it would not be a wiring/connection concern. The described symptom would almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, primary checks on likely suspects would be on:• cold solder (least likely);• low or missing mains B+ (likely);• no Horizontal oscillation/no secondary FBT voltages (most likely).All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multimeter and even a soldering iron?Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your reply Louie...yes, I had thought about a DIM [DO-IT-MYSELF] repair...I have both, a digital multimeter, and a soldering iron, but not sure if soldering iron is best for this purpose...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great on the DIY! This Magnavox model uses a Philips chassis. Proposed foremost check on the power supply circuit for the presence and consistency of the:• +B / +140V @ inductor 5561;• +12V @ the emitter of transistor 7564;• +3.9V @ the anode of dual diode 6585;• +3.3V @ pin 3 of regulator 7560. Please post back results / observations of the above once tested. A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in, turned on and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the delay...family drama...
I don't know what you are talking about above, what they are, where they are, or how to test...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. For me to see what you are seeing, please post back with a clear closeup picture of the circuit board (unit unplugged and back cover removed). Click HERE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry. I'm not putting you off...super busy. Please hang with me, I have my work bench [kitchen table] covered with computer work.
I promise to get back with ASAP.
Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the post back and update when able.
Cheers.