Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv wont turn on a red light in the bottom right hand corn

Customer Question

my tv wont turn on a red light in the bottom right hand corn of the tv is blinking it sez timer rec ???????
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. What is the model number off of the back of the Toshiba, and how long have you owned it for please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
42hl196 about 6 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am here, sorry I was also typing to another customer. Please tell me what color the Timer light is while blinking- is it Amber, Red or Green?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, does it blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 3 blinks, 3 blinks, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 blinks pause 3 blinks and it is red
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common). However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you just a min.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and fingers crossed. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no luck doing same thing :(
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that and this indicates a fault inside the TV that require service. The most common causes of this are a faulty Mainboard or Power Supply board in the set. The only way to narrow it down further is to remove the back of the TV, and then take some voltage readings using a Multi-Meter. If you're a DIY type and have a meter then I can guide you through this and also help you find replacement parts. However if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will typically charge $250-$300 parts and labor for this type of repair, and can be located at the following link: www.tvrepairpros.com I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for that much money i can buy a new tv but thats for trying
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I understand, and wish I had a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?