Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My tv was in storage months, I took it out and plugged

Customer Question

My tv was in storage for 6 months, I took it out and plugged it in. It worked for about 10 minutes then went all fuzzy.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What were the storage conditions?Does this happen on all inputs/sources?What about the LG menu, is that affected also?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Please reply back to me here on the original question only.
Posting a new question on the same topic results in additional charges to you and delays my ability to reply.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive tried all the HDMI ports and the red white and yellow, RCA. No luck and no the LG menu does not come on
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if this happens on all inputs and the menu won't function either, that really leaves only one possibility. Unfortunately, this means a bad main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan