Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an onkyo remote and a sony tv turned the tv off at night

Customer Question

i have an onkyo remote and a sony tv turned the tv off at night then in the morning there was a picture but no sound
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Does this happen with all inputs/sources on the onkyo? What about the fm radio tuner?Can you tell me what devices are used, and how they are connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it has to do with the radio - my daughter turned on the radio since there are speakers inside and outside the house. Somehow we switched to the tv and it was fine - turned it off at night then in the morning picture no sound I really do think I either turned off the radio wrong or a button the remote was hit in error when it put it on the table
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.I do need to know specifically the items I asked before though.Can you still get sound from the radio,and what other devices are used, such as when watching tv (dvd, cable box, etc) and how are all of those devices connected (hdmi, component, etc).Can you also tell me the full model number of the onkyo?As an initial step, at least to get back sound (if you don't get radio sound) look for a Speaker A/B switch on the front of the onkyo and press that to make sure that at least the A channel (which should be your inside speakers) are on. Keep me posted,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Onkyo rc879m- everything is hooked up - the DVD tuner tv and cable I can get sound on netflix and sound on the radio but not the tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
What is the source of your netflix signal? Through the dvd player? A sony app?I need to know specifically how each device is connected to each other - what type of cord/cable, which port, etc. When you say "not the tv", do you mean you can't get sound from cable?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a sony tv rmyd096 remote - it has a netflix button which gives direct access to netflix. The sound there works but when I turn the tv on, turn the cable box on which is via the.'source' button on the onkyo, then turn on the receiver button the onkyo everything works- picture, menu,DVD etc but no sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the onkyo receiver is WRAT, s/n 29363796, THX ultra plus- yes I get sound from the radio. The receiver is hooked up to the tv, cd, cable box, there is surround sound as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there is no a b switch in the front of this receiver - it has pure audio DVD VCR/dvr, cblsat, game tv aux tape tuner cd phono display
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay so if it is only on the cable source that you don't get sound from (while radio, dvd, etc still work), then this is most likely an issue with the cable box itself.As a starting point, can you unplug power to the box for 60+ seconds to reboot it.If that doesn't work, look on your cable remote for a button that says SAP. Press that, to turn sap off.Let me know if either of those help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The onkyo remote does not have a button that says SAP and the unplugging did not work . Should we send a picture of the remotes and the system and the back where the cords are?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm not talking about the onkyo remote, I'm referring to the cable remote.You can go ahead and send the pics if you're able, yes. That would be helpful.ThanksNathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advise where to send the pictures
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can't send/email them to me directly. You can upload them here via the paperclip/attachment icon, or put them on any file sharing site such as imgur, dropbox, wikisend, etc