TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-55A3000. When I press the power button

Customer Question

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-55A3000. When I press the power button the green power light starts blinking continuously but the screen never comes on, the fan doesn't start either. I have tried turning it on and off several times with the same result every time. Any ideas what the issue may be?
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
The power-light never blinks red?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, just keeps blinking green.
The set is not reporting any errors if its not blinking red so its very likely the lamp is not getting off the ground and is bad you need to get an OEM lamp www.dlplampsource.com only sell OEM lamps Let me know if you need more info/help A positive rating is appreciated thank you, ***** ***** be a rating bar of smileys or stars with this post please pick out a positive rating and click submit or finish thanks again, rating me positively is the only way I receive a proportion of the fee from the site, please note the question will remain openRegardsAnthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't the lamp light blink red in that case?
That is a good question NO not every time it will keep recycling if its weak if it fails altogether then yes the red lamp light will come on but the way it is the lamp is weak and is not in a condition of total failure to activate the lamp failure light on the front of the set.
Its likely the lamp is over 3 years and 3 years is the max life of an OEM lamp for normal use
Let me know if you need more info
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, makes sense. Is there any way I can test this to make sure this is the issue before I purchase another bulb?
No you can't check an arc lamp you can only replace it, their is no checks even at workshop level, and the lamp may look perfectly ok but be bad, as I said if the set has a problem with anything including the ballast that fires the lamp it will report it as an error then blink red, in the case of the ballast it will be 5 red blinks pause 5 red and so on, again if the lamp has been in for 3 years that is the end of the lamps life anyhow its not like "well lets see how long we can get from this" it MUST be changed otherwise it is possible the light engine can be damaged.
Let me know if you need more info
Please remember to rate positive thank you.
Regards
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried putting in a new lamp and the green light kept blinking, still the fan doesn't turn on ever. Is it a power supply or power board issue? Any other thoughts?
That's really odd
The set has not been subject to any storm damage?
Yes its possible for power but the error reporting with the light blinking red will kick in
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It could have been in a storm, I don't know for sure.
OK is the set your own personal set you may have had for a couple of years OR have you just acquired the set?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just acquired the set.
That explains a lot
If you would have indicated earlier I would have a different perspective than what I have said,you see getting a used tv is very much like getting a used car that won't work you don't know the history because you have never had the set working for any length of time so just about anything could have happened with it,it's not behaving as it should when faulty so it's task to understand what has happened to it do you understand?
Anthony
It could be a main-board issue or a power-supply issue or somebody could have destroyed the set with an arc welder its a not known entity, usually what happens with a sony is if it develops a fault 95% of the time it will blink a code which is why I was confused it was not.....
I can see you are not going to be happy with this but that is the way it is.
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get a voltmeter out and check the main board or power board to figure out which is failing?
You could start by replacing the power-board voltage checks wont tell us anything cost of power-board $100 but dont be surprised if then you have to replace the mainboard having got the set to maybe powerup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the power board and now when I turn the tv on, the green power light flashes for a short time and then flashes red 8 blinks at a time. The screen nor fan ever come on. What does this error code mean?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
8 blinks indicates the audio protect circuit has been triggered. Your model is also known as the KDS-55A3000. The initial green power light flashing indicates the TV is attempting to start the lamp, and 8 blinks indicates a shorted audio amp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, what can I do to fix this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind on the 8 red blinks I had forgotten to plug the A board back into the G board. But now I am back to my initial problem of continuously blinking green power light, with the screen and fan never turning on. So, with a new G board, I know that isn't the issue. What else could it be?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, is your fan accessible enough for you to spin it? I have seen stuck fans that will stop the TV from lighting the lamp due to stuck bearings. Once you spin it, it may start working. I usually take a pen and move the blades with the lamp cover installed on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to access it and it spins just fine.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Check the wiring, see if they get DC voltage on the fans. That may be a little harder to do, but remember that this model is serviceable with the front off of the unit, and the chassis in the rear casing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the voltmeter out and measured DCV across the fans, it read 0 the whole time on both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do I do now?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to look at your schematics to find the source of your problem. Send this response back to me as a reminder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just replying as a reminder to look at the schematics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you figured out what the issue may be?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
New G Board tells me that the only other board that powers up the fans is the FB1A board. It controls ALL FANS, and the Fan 12 V supply comes from your new G Board. Part number A-1436-395-A