Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My TV sound quit working. Initially it quit working five minutes

Customer Question

My TV sound quit working. Initially it quit working five minutes after the TV was turned on. Now it does not work at all. This is a 54 inch three year old TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is***** can help you with this problem but first note that if you request a phone call , in most cases i can do that but the website charges for this is an EXTRA $18 and NOT TOTAL $18 .For other billing inquiries phone # ***** being said ;How long did that last that 5 minutes period before it would quit ?Days , weeks etc. and was it like that every times you turned on the tv ?Do you have the same problem no matter what is playing on tv like dvd , cable box etc. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday morning when the TV was turned on the sound lasted for 10 minutes. After that the sound would not work. This is on all devices.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then we are looking at the audio circuit of the main board .In which case the main board would need to be replaced or a work around could be used , there is always a work around for sound problems.You can use a sound bar or audio amplifier , surround sound etc. , even a pair of computer speakers can be used in most cases .If you`d rather repair this to original , that is to replace the main board ,how do you want to proceed from here ?Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
If you were to use a sound bar or audio system for example you could very likely still use the tv`s audio out terminals or use the cable box and/or dvd`s audio out directly into that soundbar thus bypassing the tv for sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please give me the details and costs I would expect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is to repair the main board.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then if you want the tv back to original then as I said the main board part # ***** (0171-2272-3714) cost around $120 to buy depending on where you get it from and to have a repair shop replace it for you at home then you are looking at another $150 so that makes it somewhere around $270 and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself.Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourselfIf you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;www.tvrepairpros.comOr this one;http://www.tvrepairman.comThis will give you a list of repair shops in your area.You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.If that answers your question please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you