Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

H40BX Had a lightning strike nearby. Good power to TV. No redlight

Customer Question

H40BX Had a lightning strike nearby. Good power to TV. No redlight on TV. Press power button and red light (normally on when TV off) blinks for less than 1 sec and goes out. TV does not come on
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcomeThanks for the Question I will need the full model number please found on the back of the set? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KDL-40BX450
OK I am assuming there is no blink code like 2 blinks pause 2 blinks as an example, its just goes out after 1 second, if that is the case the likelihood is that the main-board is bad are you able to do work yourself with the set?as an overview the back of the set needs to come off the board identified and removed a replacement board ordered and fitted I will provide all the necessary info for that I just need to know if you think its within your scope? If you are not comfortable with that you will need a tech www.tvrepairpros.com will locate a tech in your area Let me know please A positive rating is appreciated thank you, ***** ***** be a rating bar of smileys or stars with this post please pick out a positive rating and click submit or finish thanks again, rating me positively is the only way I receive a proportion of the fee from the site, please note the question will remain openRegardsAnthony Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the board a plug in?
Yes it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am sorry I do not use justanswer phone facility as I consider it not to be beneficial please reply back with text thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need info on part # ***** and source to order the board. I have removed 8 machine bolts w/o washers from the periphery of the back and 6 shorter bolts w/ washers from recesses from around, in a square pattern, the center of the back. I can so far separate the back from the front (screen) but am having a struggle separating the back along the top of the TV
You need to get the back off the set, locate the mainboard thats the one with all the AV connectors on, unplug and unscrew the board from the chassis, remove the board ,carefully examine the board for its part number usually found on a sticky label on the board or etched on the board, (you may need to go through a few codes before you find the right number)when you get the partnumber try www.shopjimmy.com first, if they dont have it google the partnumber to locate a supplier, its the reverse to fit, plug in and switch on TV (plug and play)Let me know if you need more infoA positive rating is appreciated thank youRegardsAnthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't yet have the back completely loose but working on it. Please give this 77 yr old retired USAF fighter pilot a description of the 'AV Connectors' so I can ID the correct board to R & R.
Yes sir, the AV connectors are the INPUTs on the back of the set so those inputs are connected to the board you are looking to replace If you need more info let me know Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mornin' Anthony,
Sorry for the delay. I purchased the board you suggested but upon installation the TV still did not turn on and the supplier of the board suggested that the problem was the Power Supply/Inverter board which I bought and installed and the TV works fine. What do I do next?
OK let me explain the usually 9 times out of 10 where the power-light blinks it is the main-board that has took a hit, because it was lightning you could have BOTH boards bad put the ORIGINAL main-board in and let me know if it goes bad again (assuming you want to do that).
Its usually main or power boards if there was no blink I would have asked you to replace power seemingly on this occasion it was not that way but as I say it is possible you have both boards down
I do not receive anything from the site until you rate the answer positively hopefully my input is deserved of that there will be a rating bar with this post
Thanks again
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anthony,
Fortunately the supplier of the boards (both of them) took back the 'main board' and charged me only for the 'power supply' and all is fine.
OK no problem let me know if I can do anything else
Anthony