Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung started to turn itself on & off after we had a power

Customer Question

My Samsung started to turn itself on & off after we had a power outage on 6/24. Each day since then the duration of the switching between on & off has shortened. It seems once the tv gets warmed up, the switching stops. Any ideas why?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I do have experience with this problem, and can tell you why/what is causing it, however I will need some more info from you.
1) Are you able to get the model number off of the back of the set?
2) How long have you owned it for roughly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot get model #. Tv on wall. We have it for 6 years & it is 55 in.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. So when you first turn the set on- it cycles on and off (relay clicking sound and power light blinking), and when it warms up its fine correct?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This is caused by a fault that occurred within the Mainboard of the TV- this is the board that has all of the Audio and Video jacks on the rear of the set. It controls the turn on command to the power supply circuit in the set. What happened was the power outage was a catalyst to the EEPROM (processor) on the Mainboard to fail when cold. This is a very common issue with Samsung sets, and to fix the issue requires this component be replaced. The average cost for this type of repair is in the $300 range for a 55" Samsung and you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area if you'd like: www.tvrepairpros.com I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Before having the set repaired, since you stated the duration of clicking has been less each day, I would actually wait and see if it goes away altogether. It's possible with these digital sets for components to receive a surge/shock and actually "re-form" allowing them to essentially fix themselves. If this is not the case, then it will require the repairs stated above I'm afraid.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.