Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a mitsubishi tv, old model, mag to replace lamp kept

Customer Question

I have a mitsubishi tv, old model, mag to replace lamp kept appearing, so ordered replacement, light blinked with no picture, turned solid red, now is solid yellow after trying few times still no picture. Have old bulb in there now with same issue, mad cause at least before i eemoved i still had picture. Can you help trouble shoot to see if it's bad lamp or something else like the fan.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
This info will help to troubleshoot the problem properly.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wd-62327

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
There are three LED lights on TV and labeled as Lamp, Status and Timer so which one turns to yellow and does stay solid or flash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Currently lamp is yellow and tv is off. It was solid red before I unplugged it

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, is the yellow lamp light solid or flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Solid

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
This is odd and points to defective lamp though it is new.
Yellow solid lamp light indicates lamp usage warning which is approx 4000 hours as per TV service manual and you're saying the lamp is new?
Where did you buy the replacement lamp from and what was the cost?
I assume lamp would be off ebay or amazon and probably $30 or $40, is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lamp was through amazon . Company aura beam, like $18 I believe. Just got it today,re potting Amazon they are refunding me the amount and I ordered an electrified lamp earler to receive Monday. Right now I have old lamp in cause new lamp did first but now neither of them work. Do you want me to try new lamp again & tell you what it does? Is there any way to tell if lamp is defective quickly like a regular light gets dark & rattles?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Solid red lamp light that you had earlier tells lamp failure (dead or broken) and solid yellow lamp light indicate lamp has reached at end of life that is 4000 hours.
Please ask the lamp supplier to provide good quality lamp or check with following lamp supplier where it is available for $109
http://www.dlplampsource.com/915p020010-television-replacement-lamp.html
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Not satisfied. I believe it would be best to attempt new lamp again &send those codes because like I stated I have the old lamp in now & already new that was near end life. I also want to know how to tell if it is fan

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Good question, in case of fan failure the Status light will start blinking in red.
Let me provide you LED indicator info about normal and abnormal/ error codes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Please check following link to view image of error code list of LEDs on this TV..
http://i.imgur.com/XbXBWTE.jpg
Above image contains normal and abnormal LED indicators info which will help to diagnose the issue in TV. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trying new light again & will check sight & let you know

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Sure, please reply back with the result of new lamp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay as soon as I Plug in the TV a solid yellow lamp light appear, when I turn it on the timer is blinking green , still no picture when the timer turns off the lamp light blinks green and does not have any apparent pause, then you hear the TV power off and under the lamp light turns a solid red and it has stayed there

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, below is the light flashing meaning step by step..
- timer is blinking green means TV is initializing (booting up).
- lamp light blinks green means lamp fan is running when TV shuts off (normal procedure).
- lamp light turns a solid red means lamp failure (no matter if it is new or old).
So my answer still stands correct, your new lamp is also defective and old lamp has reached at end of working hours lifespan, TV seems OK and all it needs a good quality lamp to get it up and running again.
I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK that's what I came up with reading chart, does it change anything that after forever of it staying red it has I tried holding the menu & input button for five seconds then light has turned solid yellow

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Let the TV shuts down after power cycle/ process, lamp light will turn to red.
Now press and hold Menu and Input buttons on TV front for 5 seconds, power light will start flashing in two sequence to present an error code, for example, flash 3 times, pauses and flash 4 times and this pattern repeats 5 times.
What error code you get on TV?
If lamp light turns to solid yellow after preforming above test that means main processor chip read out/ count the lamp timer/ usage (more than 4000 hours) and indicating that lamp is no longer good to turn On.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the TV does absolutely nothing when I press the menu and input buttons the lamp light stay solid Yellow, it does not give me any type of code or form of blinking on aNY of the Three areas, just solid yellow lamp

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, have you tried above procedure (menu + input buttons) with old lamp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No this is the new lamp

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, may be the old lamp give you error code through menu+input buttons procedure, can you try it now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so put old lamp back in & turn on? Or just do menu+input 5 sec?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Put old lamp back in TV, turn On the TV and let it finish the power sequence till you get red lamp light/ TV shuts Off then apply menu+input buttons procedure to see what error code TV present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the red lamp turned instantaneously yellow when I press the MENU and input button there are no codes or blinking lights anywhere else

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, so main processor chip reads out lamp failure due to usage and present it as solid yellow light that means rest of the hardware in TV just fine so no other error code appears.
Rest assured, a good quality lamp will resolve your TV problem and please do not buy cheap lamps which will not work in TV, we (techs) see this issue here on daily basis so its not a new thing for us.
Regards,
Shahid.
PS: I need to go offline now and will reply your any further question by tomorrow. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just making certain: what I told amazon was correct, I was sent a bad lamp. I should have no concerns with anything else on tv. We trouble shoot ed everything?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Exactly, we tried and tested almost all possible ways and every time ended up with bad lamp result, TV error code check also pointed exhausted lamp (older and newer) and a cheap lamp from amazon ($18 to $50 etc) will not work in TV no matter how many you try them in TV because they are fake/ sub par and a good quality lamp (lamp price is main mark here) will work to get the TV back in business.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to receive a copy of our conversation?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
You can copy by using select all and paste it on word file and save it, this conversation/ discussion will be available all the time so just logged to JustAnswer.com and go to My Question link to view this page any time.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.