Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Got a 2010 model Toshiba LCD. During a storm this week we lost

Customer Question

Got a 2010 model Toshiba LCD. During a storm this week we lost picture/sound, but the TV can be turned on/off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
I'm sorry you are having trouble with the TV.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does screen glow/show backlight when turn On the TV?
- Any graphics appear on screen?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when its turned on there's a momentary glow, then to black. We're assuming no audio, since the Xbox make a little noise/tone when it comes on, and it wasn't heard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No graphics.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.
There are two circuit boards in TV that can be cause of problem, either power supply board or main board.
It needs to test output volts such as 12V, 24V on power supply board with multimeter while turning the TV On to see if volts stay or goes Off or missing at all which will help to determine if power board is working or not.
Do you have multimeter and can check output volts if wish to repair the TV yourself?
If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote like $200 to $230...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a lighted Toshiba logo at the bottom of the frame which does stay lit, which would mean there is at least some power that stays present. (and I do have a meter)
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand and that is why I didn't ask to check standby 5V as it is available because TV power light is On and power switch is working so check 12V and 24V only.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if I get the proper output voltage and it drops out right away, what does that mean?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I would check PWR/PWON command volts on connector (P802) where you checked 12V as it comes from main board. If PWR/PWON volts stay yet 12V, 24V drops that means power board is defective.
At this point I would disconnect the plug (P802) from power board, jump the PWR/PWON pin to either 5V or GND pin of same connector to force the power board to turn On and will check 12V and 24V to see if they stay or drop again to make sure power board is bad or working as it needs PWR/PWON volts/command to turn On the main power supply section (12V and 24V).
Please reply back with the result.
Thanks.