Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My visio 60" smart TV has no audio or video

Customer Question

my visio 60" smart TV has no audio or video
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to determine what's causing this, I need to ask you for more information.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) What is connected to the TV for sources (cable box, DVD player, etc.), and does this issue occur regardless of which source you're viewing from?
3) If you press MENU using the original TV remote, or the MENU button on the TV itself- does the MENU display normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) 2 1/2 years recent
2) cable
3) no display
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only the power light comes on
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, does the screen light up at all when you press power- or is there no response (not even a change of the power light) when power is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power light only no other response
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
What I'm asking is if the power light changed- amber to white when the power button is pressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Main Board being the most common). However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up. The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that previously issue continues
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this is a hardware failure in the TV. The Mainboard which provides the power supply turn on command is faulty.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
At a shop you're looking at around a $300 repair cost for this issue and once can be located at the link below: www.tvrepairpros.com
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Or if you're looking to repair the set yourself, you can purchase the mainboard at the link below and swap the component to fix the TV. It's a plug and play board- meaning no soldering or special tools are required to replace it. http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-y8385864s-main-board.htm
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You would simply remove all of the screws on the back of the TV, and remove the rear cover. Then the main is the one with all of the AV jacks installed. You will unplug the wire connections, then remove the screws around the edges of the board to take it out. I'm sorry for the bad news an wish there were a quick fix. The good news is that if you replace the board yourself, you're saving $230 over what a shop would charge. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, would there be basic instructions for swapping the board out
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No these are raw parts- usually reserved for a shop. I am basically giving you the inside scoop on how to save money. The instructions I gave above are all that's needed to be done. Or you could Youtube "Mainboard replacement" and watch a video that also shows the same process. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. thanks. I last question. I don't care to continue the $28/month membership..how do I opt out
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm not privy to billing issues- as I am an independent tech. You would need to address billing to customer service through the home page.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Could you please rate my service? It's my livelihood.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your request but it is unlikely I can give you a rating until my tv is up and going again.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your response- thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one last question. What information will I need when I go to the website to order the board
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I posted the link directly to your board- you simply need to order it. It's just like any other online vendor- add to cart, checkout, and pay them then they ship.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great thanks…Can I come back and rate you when I have installed the board?
You have been very helpful to this point
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can reply back at any time as I mentioned above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely do so
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric, I changed out the main board today and that did not fix the issue
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I need to know specifically what the TV does or does not do now please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i push the power button the screen turns blue. Brighter for a while, then fades
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so there is a response from the power button now- but there was not before correct? Can you please unplug the TV from power then disconnect and reconnect all of the cables to the Mainboard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that will take a while since I have to take the back off again, but I will try it. I have to leave for an hour.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, no problem. I'd like to rule that out before determining the set may need another component.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all power cords are tight
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Power cords?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry cables to the main board are tight
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand. Now, when the original problem occurred, you had no response at all from the power button correct? Now you have light to the screen and the power light changes? If so, do you have a multi-meter so we can test some of the voltages on the power supply board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have a light but it only checks if electricity is flowing through a wire
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No, not a test light- we need a multi-meter. Without that we can only see the symptoms have changed and since the power supply turn on command is now there, we're looking at what appears to be a bad power supply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can have one by morning, but I don't have one available now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I won't be back online till tomorrow afternoon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI. This TV is in our finished basement and doesn't get used much except during football season. My wife said she noticed the screen was the blue color it becomes now when we turn it on. That was about two weeks before it quit working. It had been turned off for a couple days for sure before she noticed the blue screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be on the road travelling after noon tomorrow and be gone through Tuesday. Will anyone else be able to help me?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I will opt out and open the question to other experts. I am no longer involved in the dialogue.